• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Bag

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Do you keep one for the buns?

I am thinking it may be a good idea to pack an 'In case of emergency bag' for the buns.
The talk about fire the other day got me thinking about it.
If you do have one, what do you have in there?

I was thinking maybe the following...

Bottle of Evian
Pellets
Hay
Some treats
Some money

Not a bad idea, you'd need to keep changing the hay for fresher maybe every month say, it's a good idea though, would make staying in a carrier a bit less stressful to have what your used to I think :wave:

Yeah I just thought it would be a good idea to have a bag to grab in an emergency then at least I know they have some food and essentials where ever we end up.

The only regular medication is Katalax for Jimby which we can easily get at the vets.
Kitchen roll- Good idea!

Thing is in an emergency could one not just give grass? I wouldn't put hay in personally but that's just me. I think I could find everything they'd need food wise by foraging if need be.

I don't know - it depends what sort of an emergency I suppose and how long the supplies in the bag are supposed to tide you over for.

With supermarkets being open 24 hrs a day though, it'd be pretty easy to pick up all you needed very quickly (granted, the hay might not be the best quality but it'd be better than nothing for a short time).

Plus, I have quite a few animals and that would be one big emergency bag. :shock::lol:

It's funny I've thought a few times about a situation where'd I'd have to have the rabbits, not 'on the run' that's the wrong expression but more 'on the road'. I imagine them bedded down in a bag with me (in my imagination there's always just the two, not sure how that works :?) and then whenever we stop letting them eat the grass and then calling them and them bounding back. And then picking stuff for them while they can't be on the grass. Yes, I know that's a very idealistic little scene. :oops:

I sound a bit doolally now don't I?

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I haven't, because I know enough rabbit keepers locally that if my hosue burnt down or something I could easily just go round and borrow pellets + hay :) It's a good idea for peace of mind though, you could keep it by their carrier for easy grabbing if needed.

Incidentally....surely hay is cut in late summer and stored through the winter anyway :? So changing hay in an emergency bag to "fresher" hay wouldn't really make much difference?

I haven't, because I know enough rabbit keepers locally that if my hosue burnt down or something I could easily just go round and borrow pellets + hay :) It's a good idea for peace of mind though, you could keep it by their carrier for easy grabbing if needed.

Incidentally....surely hay is cut in late summer and stored through the winter anyway :? So changing hay in an emergency bag to "fresher" hay wouldn't really make much difference?

Wouldn't it? I don't know what the 'cutting' times for hay are on things like Oat Hay. Perhaps not then just thought it might go a bit 'off' left for a long while.

Good point - I'm still using bales of hay from last Summer's cut as the new crop hasn't been cut yet. :)

With eight buns, nine cats and a hammy I try not to think what I would do if there was a fire or flood. I don't have enough carriers for them all - nor enough arms:(

I don't even have an emergency bag for myself - which I guess I should have as I have to take regular medication.

Wouldn't it? I don't know what the 'cutting' times for hay are on things like Oat Hay. Perhaps not then just thought it might go a bit 'off' left for a long while.

I'm pretty sure hay doesn't go off as long as it's kept dry. I have an empty timothy hay bag here that I bought in 2010 and it says "best before dec 2012".

I have thought about it, in a kind of, where would I take him and he needs hay! I guess as the hay is next to his carrier, I would just grab and run and to be honest I'm more worried about getting out and there must be places I could get hay in an emergency!

I'd add a snugglesafe or hotwater bottle in case somebun needed to be kept warm, and some syringes and babyfood in case you needed to get food in quickly.

I'd also write the number for the vets and emergency vets on in permanent marker, along with dates of vaccs! Just in case...

xxx

I have started my emergency bag!

So far we have:

Cleaning wipes
Grooming wipes
A box of dried herbs
Enough Allen and Page to last 4 days
Enough Pro Fibre to last 4 days
Kitchen Roll
Water Bowl

Going to add...

Phone number of vets and emergency vet (Thankyou Dizzyg!)
A variety of hay
Some Fenugreek Crunchies

Any more ideas?

Back