• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pts

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
When would you consider this? I considered it when Snowy had myxi, the most heart-breaking decision. I gave him 48 hours :cry:

I had to consider this with my bridge bun benji had severe head tilt. So bad that her head ended up almost upside down and she couldnt walk, eat or drink herself. It would have been cruel to let her carry on.

Also considred it when my bridge bun pip was diagnosed with kidney failure. The vet gave her 3months to live ad said she would die a horrible death. Didnt want her to suffer so thought about pts. Glad i didnt as she lasted 9 months and was happy.

I haven't had a bunny pts. I would if they were better off with it, though.
The past few months I've had a hammy and a cat put to sleep. It's heartbreaking... But MUCH easier for them.
I know if I was feeling poorly I'd much rather feel that I'd just drifted off to sleep rather than going on suffering

I made this difficult decision when frankie couldn't get comfortable didn't want to each even with all his drugs. It came down to quality of life for me.

I had to have my first rabbit charlotte put to sleep, she had severe head tilt, barely walking, reduced eating and hardly drinking anything, we said she had 1 week to recover but nothing was helping or working, she had lost her spark and will to live:(

I think once their "spark" goes then its time:wave:

I did when our first baby bunny died, he was brain dead and we didn;t know if he was in pain, there was no chance of him coming back so we made the decision to let him go:(

Last edited:
I find most of the pets you share your life with will need to be PTS. I hate the thought of them suffering and as soon as it is apparent that they are, treatment is not aliviating symptoms and there is no chance of recovery, we make that decision.
I am grateful that we can end hopeless suffering for our pets. The love I have for them is greater than my need to keep them with me, as incredibly painful as it is.

We have to make this decision regularly. I usually decide and we discuss it. The main thing that I look at, if they have a terminal illnes is when the meds stop working, we can't keep them comfortable, they stop eating or they obviously have given up.
Today we had Polly pts because her breathing was starting to be badly affected and her tumour was beginning to rub. She was still bright, eating and fighting but she was very soon going to be in discomfort.

with rosie and mowgli i just knew, when there qaulity of life was no more and they where suffering, i would loved for them to stay with me forever but that would of been only for me and not them, and soo if/when the time comes you just know and helkp them on there way, hopefully in the most peaceful way

I've had to do this twice in the last 3 months :(

In both cases there was no hope and bunnies would have been in pain.

At least I was able to hold them. Ollie was literally snuggled up in my arms and tucked under my chin for me to give him a cuddle and say goodbye. The vet said she could do it in that position and it was very peaceful.

Hurts, but not as much as seeing a bunny in pain.

I haven't had a bunny PTS but the vet advised us to put Mischa to sleep when he had head tilt but we absolutely knew it was not his time. He was improving, not rolling so much and still had a hearty appetite. We made the right decision, he's still with us four years later and still has an abundance of life in him.

When a vet says they are really suffering and unlikely to survive.. With Sweep, he had severe bloat, the vet looked at him and said he was in a lot of pain, they could try somethings but they'd recommend putting him to sleep cos he'd probably just die within the next few hours anyway.. It broke my heart cos he was young, but I saw the pain in his eyes and after a whole night of it, I couldn't bare him going through another minute, let alone hours :cry:

When it comes to myxi, I PTS immediately.. I've nursed two myxi buns for 7 days each, and they both deteriorated dramatically each day.. One started choking to death because her throat had swollen so much she couldn't breath and she was PTS, the other died in my arms :cry: When a third bun got myxi, the second I saw symptoms I rushed her to the vets and had her PTS, she was just 13 weeks old :cry:

It's never easy but when the vet says there's almost no chance of survival and the animal is suffering, then it has to be done :cry:

I haven't had a bunny PTS but the vet advised us to put Mischa to sleep when he had head tilt but we absolutely knew it was not his time. He was improving, not rolling so much and still had a hearty appetite. We made the right decision, he's still with us four years later and still has an abundance of life in him.

I must mention that this was my OLD vet, my current vet would never sweep aside my opinion like this.

I've only had to pts one bunny, but have had three dogs that had to be pts.

I only do it as an absolute last resort (like the majority of people) when I can see they have no quality of life left.

Its one of those things that haunts me for years afterwards though, as I think its natural to wonder whether there was something else that could have been done, or wonder would they have had a miraculous recovery if I'd waited a bit longer.

Back