• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay questions

abi2047

Mama Doe
Sorry all the threads about spaying but it's all new to me. :oops:

How do I prepare for it? What do I need to do when they arrive back from the op? How can I make them 'comfy' when they come home? :wave:

They need to spend the night inside and they can't go on shavings and hay for a while, so you'll need newspaper\towels\vet bed, it might be best to get them used to this bedding before so after the spay they can settle in quickly. They'll feel groggy so let them rest

You'll also need to keep an eye on if they're eating, drinking, pooing and weeing

You have plenty of time to prepare - you're little ones are way too young for a spay at the moment :)

It might be worth you getting a notebook and writing down all the advice you get, so that it's all on hand :)

Sorry all the threads about spaying but it's all new to me. :oops:

How do I prepare for it? What do I need to do when they arrive back from the op? How can I make them 'comfy' when they come home? :wave:

Feed your buns like normal before their spay, rabbits need to eat right up until and be offered food right after their ops. Take a packed lunch with them, put in a good big handful of hay, pellets, and there favourite veg/herbs/fuit/treats to encourage them to eat afterwards. Also take a blanket or something familar to them with them to make them feel more comfortable there. Limit there space whilst they're recovering, pen off an area of your room or if you have an indoor cage to keep them in to limit them excersising after their ops. You'll have to go in for one or two post op check ups, their wounds will be checked during these but if you can keep an eye on them yourselves, my vets used internal stiches and 'glue' for Beano but if yours have external stiches make sure they're not pulling at them, I checked Beano's wound when she was lied out because I didn't want to hurt her by handling her. Her stomach was shaved and coloured blue with this anticeptic stuff to stop her becoming infected. Keep them on newspaper and blankets or vet bed, nothing that might stick to their wounds. Get in their favourite food to tempt them to eat again, they'll probably be tired afterwards and may take them a while to eat so don't panic straight away :)

You have plenty of time to prepare - you're little ones are way too young for a spay at the moment :)

It might be worth you getting a notebook and writing down all the advice you get, so that it's all on hand :)

:thumb::thumb: Great Advice Ms Forum Buddy!

:love:

Back