• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay

abi2047

Mama Doe
I've just rang a few vets to see how much they charge for spaying and the cheapest I found was £71.28. Mum said that's a bit expensive considering my cat's neuter was only £60. :?

Yes.

Spay is about right there, in fact, relatively cheap.

A rabbit spay is a much more invasive procedure.

I'd say that was quite good, does that include any pain meds/checkups? Beano's cost £85, well worth it though.

I think it probably will :)

Hopefully. One of the girls will be spayed out of my birthday money, so now I have no birthday money left. :lol: And the other one will be spayed out of mine and my brothers pocket money as he now shares my animals with me, so that helps out cost wise. :)

Cats are easier to neuter and neuters are easier than spays. With cats/dogs there is usually at least a $20-$30 difference between a neuter and spay.

When I was ringing round to find prices there was anywhere from $80-$150 for neuters/spays for buns. I found a place for $55, thankfully, since I had 4 buns to neuter, one of which had a tumor in his testicle. You have to be really sure the vet is experienced though.

Cats are easier to neuter and neuters are easier than spays. With cats/dogs there is usually at least a $20-$30 difference between a neuter and spay.

When I was ringing round to find prices there was anywhere from $80-$150 for neuters/spays for buns. I found a place for $55, thankfully, since I had 4 buns to neuter, one of which had a tumor in his testicle. You have to be really sure the vet is experienced though.

:thumb:

Great post!

Yes they're def experienced as my aunties dog was neutered there and my friends rabbit was spayed there.

Rabbits are exotics and therefore are more expensive for most treatment not just spays.

Yes they're def experienced as my aunties dog was neutered there and my friends rabbit was spayed there.

They might spay rabbits...but you need to make sure they are rabbit savvy. :wave:

River was £75 for the actual spay.....of course then they added on the gut stimulants and metacam after the cost of the spay, which brought it up to £98, so make sure you get a quote for everything, including aftercare. :) Rabbits are very expensive to spay, because it's a more complicated procedure.

snow was spayed the other day it cost me 49:50 blus painkillers ect, according to most people thats a really good price.
id say what you were quoted is the normal:)

Ask them some questions about the spay first, I found some good ones on a website but can't remember what it was now!! Some things like:

How many rabbits roughly have you spayed before?
Did any of these die? Through what reason did they die? (usally it will be from rabbits who were particually old/unhealthy, healthy rabbits should be fine, the risk of having them spayed is far less than the risks on leaving them unspayed)
Do my rabbits need to eat before the op? (Unlike dogs rabbits need to eat right up until and be offered food right after the op, rabbit savvy vets should stress this)

Something like that :wave:

Ask them some questions about the spay first, I found some good ones on a website but can't remember what it was now!! Some things like:

How many rabbits roughly have you spayed before?
Did any of these die? Through what reason did they die? (usally it will be from rabbits who were particually old/unhealthy, healthy rabbits should be fine, the risk of having them spayed is far less than the risks on leaving them unspayed)
Do my rabbits need to eat before the op? (Unlike dogs rabbits need to eat right up until and be offered food right after the op, rabbit savvy vets should stress this)

Something like that :wave:

Also do they provide oral painkillers for a few days after?

Which vets did you find was the cheapest (I'm nosey :lol:)? Is it the vets that your auntie is going to change from because she isn't happy with them?

With regards to your other thread, everything you need to know is in the pack I sent you. :) Tells you all about before, on the day, and afterwards :) Hopefully it will be helpful.

ETA- the questions weren't meant to be accusatory by the way- sorry if they read that way. I could just give you some pointers on a couple of vets practices, like who to avoid, who to see, likely outcomes, stuff like that. But don't answer unless you want to :)

Last edited:
Which vets did you find was the cheapest (I'm nosey :lol:)? Is it the vets that your auntie is going to change from because she isn't happy with them?

With regards to your other thread, everything you need to know is in the pack I sent you. :) Tells you all about before, on the day, and afterwards :) Hopefully it will be helpful.

ETA- the questions weren't meant to be accusatory by the way- sorry if they read that way. I could just give you some pointers on a couple of vets practices, like who to avoid, who to see, likely outcomes, stuff like that. But don't answer unless you want to :)

Highcliff Veterinary Practice, Ellenbrook Green was the cheapest I found. :)

Back