• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flies

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
Are there anyways to keep them away from the rabbit run? I would preferably like to use stuff that most people keep in the house, but would use some essential oils IF that's the only way to keep them out. With Snowy's snuffles, I was advised not to use the oils :wave: Ta

You could put some plant pots around it with repelling plants in: mint, rosemary, lemon basil, english lavendar. As a plus point the bunnies can eat them too!

You could put some plant pots around it with repelling plants in: mint, rosemary, lemon basil, english lavendar. As a plus point the bunnies can eat them too!

This is what we've done, we haven't had many flies around but then we've had rubbish weather recently so it could just be that!

We have mint, lemon scented geraniums, basil, lemon balm and rosemary.

I've also bought some citronella oil and am trying to work out the best way to use it round the aviary.

I have some little organza hangy things that I bought from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITRONELLA-DIFFUSERS-NATURAL-INSECT-REPELLANT-4-RABBITS-/160589213579?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2563dcef8b

I just re-fresh them with a few drops of new oil every so often.

Oh they're brilliant!! Thanks for the link! I was thinking of buying some little hanging tea light holders and putting some oil in there but those little organza things look really sweet!! (and are much cheaper too)! Off to order! :thumb:

You can make something pretty easily with some cotton wool balls and some muslin ;)

I've been doing some research on this and it would seem there are a few natural deterrents, this is supposed to be effective for approx 6 months you can use lemon aswell just stick cloves into the fruit and hang.

orangeandcloves.jpg

Hanging mint or basil around the home also repels flies. Hang a fresh pine branch. Flies do not like pine oil. Keep basil well-watered from the bottom so that it produces a stronger scent. Dried ground leaves left in small bowls or hung in muslin bags are also effective. Cloves and citrus peel in bags.

I make my own with some cotton wool soaked in citronella, placed in the centre of a fabric square and tried with a ribbon. I hang them off the hooks in the outhouse and just put a bit of citronella on them every now and again to refresh them.

Back