• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trouble getting your rabbits out of hutch

ELSpeake

New Kit
Hello

Do other people have problems getting their rabbits out of their hutch? We are very careful when lifting them but none of our rabbits seem to want to be picked up. I understand they're ground creatures and probably don't like the sensation of being lifted but we put them in their run everyday from about lunchtime til dusk and its becoming a trauma for all involved constantly chasing them around their hutch for 10 minutes. How do others deal with this?

Em :D

Could you possibly attach the run to the hutch, rather than keep on moving them etc?

This would be much less invasive and would mean the buns get constant access to the space, rather than only when you can put them in.

Definitely agree with the previous 2 posters, connecting the run is amazing. Runaround system works well, I have it up and it's very easy to disconnect and reconnect (even with my feeble arms!). It's often helpful to have someone to push the tube down while you're clipping the top 2 clips over the tube, as getting the tube at the right angle really helps! Broken 2 nails doing it without help :lol:!

but yep it works fabulously! and the buns LOVE it, feels nice and natural for them to be able to go outside and inside whenever they please. And then they won't associate you with picking them up, so you'll become a nicer object in their eyes :D

If the run isn't far away you can often use a PVC draining pipe tube that's wide enough for them, as long as you don't plan to move the run. There's also a connector to add 2 bits of the runaround pipe together (it's in the shop), incase the run is a bit further than the pipe allows :D

Agree with everyone else. I have to catch mine to take them to the outdoor run but it's a bit easier in a room, despite things to hide under :roll: Treats are invaluable to get them close and then a quick swoop to pick them up :oops:

Another option is to pop some food into a pet carrier and get them to jump into that to be transported from one area to another.

Back