• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BUNNY TORMENTED BY MAGPIES... Worried she may go into shock

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hello all

After a bit of advice worried about alex.

two of my rabbits alex and gizmo were out playing in the garden but after a while gizmo gets chased by alex:roll: and he came in doors and laid down. Alex was out on the grass on her own. Now alex isnt a cuddly bunny anyway and likes doing bunny things so i wasnt too concerned about her being out so i carried on with my housework. ..... next thing i noticed was magpies squawking really loudly near my house. [but as i am surrounded by trees etc i wasnt worried] that was untill i heard alex thumping very loudly. I ran to the back door to see the magpies surrounding her and everytime she tried to run they were blocking her path.!!!!:( I scared off the magpies and alex shot in the house and squeezed herself in a tiny gap next to my display unit. I got her out and she is shaking. I have her on my lap now [which isnt something i can ever normally do] she has no injury from the magpies but i am worried that she may be in shock. Any advice please ... i am very worried:(:(:(

I would just keep an eye on her and let her stay indoors for now. She probably will calm down soon. She hopefully is just really spooked and it will pass x

I would just keep an eye on her and let her stay indoors for now. She probably will calm down soon. She hopefully is just really spooked and it will pass x
thanks for the reply. she has stopped shaking but is still on my lap. she has no interest in going in the garden at the moment. I never realised that magpies would be a threat to a rabbit:shock:

:evil: I hate magpies! My dads friend recently trapped them so we are currently magpie free at the moment. The last straw was when they were attacking the blue tit in our garden. :evil:

Just let her stay there until she is ready to leave then, she will hopefully be feeling safe so will calm right down. x

she has got down now and ran under the garden table then down to her hutch with lots of head bobbing on the way. she is still jumpy but much more relaxed than she was and she is now snuggled up to her bunny hubby gizmo ... so quite pleased she seems to be ok. think it will take her a while before she is confident to be out in the garden again.... i am a proper animal lover... but i can now say i hate magpies!!!!

I am glad she seems to be better. You will just need to spoil her today, i think a little treat is in order to make her feel better :):)

Magpies! :shock: I had no idea theyd go for a rabbit :evil:

Glad shes calmed down abit now. If I were you Id leave her alone for a while now but try and keep an eye on her eating. Im sure she'll be fine though :wave:

Oh poor Alex :( Magpies can be nasty. There's a gang of them that pick on my parent's cat. He's terrified of them and he's a big cat! :shock:

Glad she's calmed down a bit. xx

Could you have one of those children's high powered water guns at hand? Give the magpies a blast or two if possible!!!

Glad to hear bunny is feeling more settled now. x

:wave: Welcome to the 'I Hate Magpies' club! :lol:

Glad bun is ok. :)

Trapping the magpies was the last option for me but after seeing them attack smaller & rarer birds, they had to go.

Magpies are absolute swines unfortunately they will attack and eat pretty much anything to get a meal, I watched them trying to attack a young crow a couple of weeks ago. They are also known for stealing eggs from nests and they kill and eat small birds too. I always cover part of my 18ft run on the lawn so my babes feel secure. They have never come across one up close but the Magpie's squarking frightens them, they seem to instinctively know.

when I worked in a rural location I saw them attack buns with myxi too, was a horrible sight

Magpies take young birds and yes they will attack a bunny as one nearly attacked Keegan my little dwarf lop years ago I just managed to catch the magpie creeping up behind him.

We are not so bad here as the pigeons seem to chase the magpies away.

Magpies are absolute little :censored: especially when they act in a group.

Years ago my elderly next door neighbour left me in charge of her tom and he really was a a big tom bit like Greebo from the Discworld. He could take down sewer rats and face down most dogs but he was cornered on a fence by a five magpies and they made a real mess of his poor head and face. I had to chase them off with a broom and Gremlin could not leap into my arms fast enough. He was with the vet for two days so he could be cleaned and stiched up. Now that was a tough one to explain to his owner when she got back.
I def' hate magpies.

I would be wary if you have a group of magpies around who have targetted your buns.

Do you have an enclosed run with hidey holes to keep them safe whilst you discourage the brutes form targetting your buns?
Would hate to see nayones rabbit in the state that poor cat was left in.

well alex is nice and calm now. sleeping with gizmo in their hutch. I have got a water pump spray for my plants so might use that if they dare come in my garden again! :roll:

Will let them out again later on and see how she is in the garden. She is eatting and drinking though so thats a good sign :)

Magpies are awful they would gang up on my poor guinea pig and wed have to run and scare them away! glad bunny is ok though xx

Im glad she is alright,the evil swines come in my garden and pick on my wildy bun but my big contis come to the rescue and see em off :D:D

Just keep an eye on her. My bunnies escaped yesterday and were chased all round the garden by my greyhounds. I was worried for the same reason, but thankfully, Islay is fine today.

Back