• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Killing wild rabbits affected by myxi

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Is it really the best thing to do?? :cry::cry::cry:

ETA: This man is going to hit one with a spade near my garden and there's nothing I can do because I'm a 'silly little girl'

Last edited:
Oh, you meant killing them once they have it.
Then I don't know. Sometimes wildies survive it but live on disfigured and probably disadvantaged.

At the American airbase near where I lived they used to kill them quickly because the big tough air force men couldn't handle the teensy weensy bunwuns suffering.

Last edited:
I don't know how big a problem a rapidly expanding wild rabbit population would be if steps weren't taken to cull the numbers.

I think what the OP means is is it kinder to put a rabbit suffering with myxi out of its misery and personally having seen a rabbit suffer from myxi and the tremendous amount of suffering it went though despite medication I do think its kinder, though using a spade is a bit drastic. My vet with euthanise wild rabbits that are brought in suffering.

Is it really the best thing to do?? :cry::cry::cry:

ETA: This man is going to hit one with a spade near my garden and there's nothing I can do because I'm a 'silly little girl'

TBH, if it is dying of Myxi, an instant blow to the head (if he is competent enough to do it of course) to kill the rabbit is the best thing for the poor little thing. Unless one of you can take it to a vet to be put to sleep.

I have killed wild rabbits with severe myxi before when taking to a vet isn't viable. :cry:

No. This has come up lots before. Does the bun getting hit have myxi?

In Australia they won't even let domestic buns be vacc'd against myxi... incase the immunity gets into the wild population. So not only are the aus govt willing to kill hundreds of thousands of wild rabbits, they're willing to kill every rabbit in Australia :roll:

This is a completely cack reason as well, I will write it out properly when I have a proper keyboard. They re-release a different version of the virus frequently.

The rabbit seems to have it very bad, it's face is just lumps, very hard to see it's eyes, just big puffy red lumps. And it doesn't seem to be able to move, from what I can see there's more lumps near it's bottom. :cry: Surely there's a nicer way for it to go without this :cry: I don't want to go outside again and I'm worried to go near the rabbit incase I bring something back to my two but I want to help it :cry:

The rabbit seems to have it very bad, it's face is just lumps, very hard to see it's eyes, just big puffy red lumps. And it doesn't seem to be able to move, from what I can see there's more lumps near it's bottom. :cry: Surely there's a nicer way for it to go without this :cry: I don't want to go outside again and I'm worried to go near the rabbit incase I bring something back to my two but I want to help it :cry:

Can you take him to a vet to be pts? Or could the man? Vets don't normally charge to pts wild animals.

I think what the OP means is is it kinder to put a rabbit suffering with myxi out of its misery and personally having seen a rabbit suffer from myxi and the tremendous amount of suffering it went though despite medication I do think its kinder, though using a spade is a bit drastic. My vet with euthanise wild rabbits that are brought in suffering.

Ah right, I re-read and that makes sense.

Honestly, I think it's best, as long as it's done properly. A quick blow with a shovel is far far kinder than a long drawn out death from myxi. It is awful to watch or do but much kinder for the poor bun. Some vets will pts for free.

Are your buns vaccinated? If so, they could contract a milder form. If not vaccinated, they are at high risk unfortunately.

If there is one bun living next to your home, there will be many more.

I would kill it, or ask the man to take it to a vet to be pts. Don't go near it, you risk passing it to your own buns. Are they vaccinated?

Rabbits are becoming immune to it in England. The rabbit population at my university catch it every year and although it's horrible to see a lot of them recover from it. Every wild adult rabbit at the UEA has had myxi and survived.

There is a leading researcher there, possibly the leading researcher in the wild European rabbit and I have been in contact with her via email after I saw a particularly bad rabbit. She said she would never put one down at any stage of the illness because she has seen them recover. They are passing the immunity onto their kits. So nowadays I'm not too fond of the idea of killing them.

I could not take it to the vets but I kept asking the man but he wouldn't let me go near it, and I didn't want to go near it because of my two buns. He said it was not difficult to kill it quickly because it couldn't move, he has now burried it (far away from my house). :cry:

There was wild rabbits living on a field next to my house but one but they are now building a house there so this team (I read the back of their jackets from my window to make sure they weren't killing the rabbits) took them away to fields and woods somwhere else. But obviously some would've been left behind. My garden is now wild rabbit proof because my parents have been working on it to make it like that so none can get it and they've just finished it so hopefully none can get in to my garden. My rabbits are vaccinated and always will be having their 6 monthly boosters. They have mosquito nets over their housing too.

Rabbits are becoming immune to it in England. The rabbit population at my university catch it every year and although it's horrible to see a lot of them recover from it. Every wild adult rabbit at the UEA has had myxi and survived.

There is a leading researcher there, possibly the leading researcher in the wild European rabbit and I have been in contact with her via email after I saw a particularly bad rabbit. She said she would never put one down at any stage of the illness because she has seen them recover. They are passing the immunity onto their kits. So nowadays I'm not too fond of the idea of killing them.

That's interesting.

Sadly, it's not reached that stage here yet. Our local populations are still dying from it. The last 3 years have been really bad. :(

I could not take it to the vets but I kept asking the man but he wouldn't let me go near it, and I didn't want to go near it because of my two buns. He said it was not difficult to kill it quickly because it couldn't move, he has now burried it (far away from my house). :cry:

There was wild rabbits living on a field next to my house but one but they are now building a house there so this team (I read the back of their jackets from my window to make sure they weren't killing the rabbits) took them away to fields and woods somwhere else. But obviously some would've been left behind. My garden is now wild rabbit proof because my parents have been working on it to make it like that so none can get it and they've just finished it so hopefully none can get in to my garden. My rabbits are vaccinated and always will be having their 6 monthly boosters. They have mosquito nets over their housing too.

Aw at least he isn't suffering now hun.

It sounds like your buns are as protected as much as they possibly can be! :love:

That's interesting.

Sadly, it's not reached that stage here yet. Our local populations are still dying from it. The last 3 years have been really bad. :(

I get really confused now. Obviously if it's wiping entire populations out it might be kinder to put them to sleep as they catch it. But then if even one survives it can pass on it's immunity. It's horrible for them to go through it, but maybe in a a hundred years or so they could become fully immune to is a species?

I know it's not nice killing a bun, but I've nursed two of my buns with myxi, it was horrific and even with all the drugs they died. I think anybun suffering from myxi should be put out of it's misery as quickly as possible. Poor things :cry:

I get really confused now. Obviously if it's wiping entire populations out it might be kinder to put them to sleep as they catch it. But then if even one survives it can pass on it's immunity. It's horrible for them to go through it, but maybe in a a hundred years or so they could become fully immune to is a species?

It depends on how far along it gets I think. The ones with the greatest immunity seem to beat it before it gets really bad.
Once it's really bad they either die or they're blinded I believe. I'm not an expert though.

Also the ones that survive getting it really badly (lumps everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE) might not be able to reproduce as myxi attacks the genitals too I think.

xo

Back