• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Confused about Metacam dosage now

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I just noticed that what the vet gave Milo yesterday was Baytril. I thought that this was an AB and not a pain med. Am I right?

Last edited:
I am going to call them as soon as they open and ask for pain med! Why wouldn't they just give them to me instead of AB.

Just tried to give him a dose of the Baytril while I wait for the vets to open and he struggled so much that I ended up with more of it on me and none in his mouth :(

I just phoned and they were reluctant to give him the metacam :( I managed to talk them into it now though. I just don't want to have to argue with the vets about what I think is best for Milo over what he does. He isn't the one that has to watch Milo in pain and not eating properly.

It's not a bad thing to have antibiotics to prevent infection, but to suggest he has no pain relief is crazy :shock:

That was my thought. I should have checked what he was being given yesterday when I picked him up but I had a massive headache and just wanted to get home.

I got the metacam but it says 1-2 drops only. Is my vet right or is he not as rabbit savvy as I think he is?

1-2 drops is less than 0.1ml.

How much does Milo weigh?

I'd be very concerned that 0.1ml will not do ANYTHING to alleviate his pain.

I have 2 buns on 0.6ml per day everyday - one weighs 1.8Kg, the other weighs 2.15Kg.

It does however, depend which metacam they have given you. Is it cat metacam? Dog metacam?

I feel like the worst bunny mummy in the world at the moment. I dont' know whether its dog or cat metacam but I have given him 2 drops on some parsley which he was reluctant to eat.

depending on if its cat or dog metacam and the suspension will determine the dosage as per his weight. kitty at 2kg had 0,4 ml dog metacam as an anti inflammatry, and dora had 0.8ml dog metacam after her flystrike episode, (she was 2.1kg then) and during her last day had vetagesic (a stronger pain relief) and metacam at 0.4ml (she had gone down to 1.4kg though) i think the range varies but a drop just wont do it. after a siezure when dora was 2.2kg (her healthy weight) she had a 4kg cat dosage (as a funny syringe rather than normal?) sorry if this doesnt help but i would change vets and give her a higher dosage depending on her weight the suspension and if cat or dog metacam (note dog metacam is stronger) x

I feel like the worst bunny mummy in the world at the moment. I dont' know whether its dog or cat metacam but I have given him 2 drops on some parsley which he was reluctant to eat.

mostly they will lick it off the end of a syringe as metacam tastes of honey if not try puttin it into his mouth. re: baytril, i add ribena neat to it to take away the taste or apple juice x

All mine (apart from Nutmeg) will lick metacam from the syringe, but for baytril I have to put it in with some mashed banana or soak it into a bit of bread.

Back