• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Islay & Jura are booked in to be spayed UD question

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
At long last! I found a vet willing to keep them overnight, and at no extra charge too :D:D:D as long as I bring some hay and food (which I had planned to do anyway!). It's a longer journey (nearly 3.5hours there), but its worth it.

Now I just have to hope I don't chicken out and cancel it...I have done that 3 times now, but I am really going to do it this time. They sounded lovely on the phone, and really understand my issues with losing Thumper while being neutered. They seem lovely...Invergordon vets.
http://www.easterrossvets.co.uk/

Please send vibes...I really need them. Now I just have to hope my carriers arrive before Tuesday :roll:

Last edited:
You and you lovely bunnies WILL be fine. I am sorry to hear about Thumper, what a terrble loss and a scare for you considering he was only going in for a neuter :( Everything will be ok :) Keep positive and all will be positive!

Millions of vibes for your babies, they will be fine, and so will you!

Keep us posted xxxxxxxxxxxx

Big vibes! Try and not stress too much, it's natural to worry about them though.

My mum's bun Smokey was spayed last week and she's doing great :D

Thanks guys :) I started painting their new shed, so once its painted, I'll get it built, then once the buns are all healed, they can move in :D

Thanks for all the vibes! Their carriers came today, perfect :D Got a hotel room booked too for Tuesday night. All seems to be working nicely for a change.

Sending lots of get 'heal quickly soon' vibes.
I have never regretted betting a bunny spayed, I always felt they were better for it.
I havnt had one done for a few years though, as they have already been done at the rescues I took them from.
You will naturally worry, but the relief you will feel a few days after will make the worry worthwhile.

Question - What painkillers do I need to ask for them to be given afterwards? I have Cat Metacam at home (half a bottle or so), will that be enough incase they seem in pain? Is it effective enough for spays?

I am starting to have doubts again...I'm so stupid :cry:

I am going to keep them indoors on fleece for a few days in a dog cage with a pen. I read they shouldn't be on hay incase it irritates the wounds, so should I put something else in their litter tray?

As they are used to their hay being on the floor, should I give them less? They don't really like racks.

Back