• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with used hay?

Dustye

Young Bun
I have three rabbits and I feed them timothy hay which they also use for bedding, insulation, and in a litter tray. I change it regularly. I have been piling the used hay in a kind of hay stack and adding other compost stuff as well.
My question is, is the hay okay for compost since it is urinated on?

I think it's even better with wee on it :lol: it's nothing but dry grass after all, so it's OK for composting.

Rabbit pee isn't that gross anyways.

I just pour it out on the lawn...I think its probably a good fertilizer :?

I know that human urine is a very good activater for compost, so I imagine rabbit urine would be good too.

To make the best compost it is best to mix veg/hay etc. and cover it to get it warm and it will break down quicker.

We put ours (with wet wood pellet litter) on the allotment compost heap.

Everything in our boxes apart from dry newspaper goes straight on the compost. Dry newspaper gets picked out and put in the incinerator.

Thanks! Looks like I'm okay. I put old vegetables, etc. too and turn it from time to time. I'm a learner gardener. I guess by the time I'm old I will have it all figured out and have one of those nice yards.

Back