• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too late to be spayed?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I don't use this site often enough ... only when in need of advice.:oops:

We've just been told today that it is extremely likely our gorgeous little lion head Gracie has cancer. This was her second trip to the vet in a month, as she has lost lots of weight, but carries on eating as normal. We have always thought she was spayed as we were told from the rescue place we rehomed her from, but the vet says he is 99% sure that he can feel tumour and she hasn't been spayed at all! The vet thinks that she is far too underweight (only 1.01kg) to be operated on, but our vets aren't known for being rabbit experts. Has anyone had any previous experience of this? I'm wondering whether to try and see if a vet will spay her, as I feel we should at least try. But at the moment she seems happy enough and she's still eating and is quite lively (when food is on its way at least), so think maybe we should let her live out her last weeks with her bf Thumper.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with this kind of thing? Would be greatful for any advice!

Thanks for reading
Gracies Mum x

Hi. I'm not sure about spaying, but Pebbles had a 5cm abdominal tumour removed in July last year. he was about 1.4 kg at the time. I'm not sure what the minimum weight is for GA, but I guess the heavier they are, the better chance they have. Is she not eating at all? could you try giving her higher calorie pellets if they are available? I've just moved Pebbles on to bugess excel junior as it is slightly higher in fat content - I'm trying to put weight on him for another op.

Hi. I'm not sure about spaying, but Pebbles had a 5cm abdominal tumour removed in July last year. he was about 1.4 kg at the time. I'm not sure what the minimum weight is for GA, but I guess the heavier they are, the better chance they have. Is she not eating at all? could you try giving her higher calorie pellets if they are available? I've just moved Pebbles on to bugess excel junior as it is slightly higher in fat content - I'm trying to put weight on him for another op.

Thanks for reading. Gracie eats really well and hasn't been showing any other symptoms other than the weight loss. The only thing she doesn't eat much of is hay. She loves grass, so i tried a bag of readigrass, but couldn't fool her into eating it. She loves veg, but we mainly use the Excel Adult food. I know they are meant to mainly eat hay, but i don't want her starving so last few days been feeding extra amount of pellets! Thanks for the advice, i'll look into the excel junior!

Hope Pebbles will be ok for he's op and will be all better.:)

hi if i was you id contact a rabbit savvy vet and see what their second opinion is and if they can remove tumour safely. xx

Pebbles stopped eating hay and grass - so that is why I have increased his pellets, and I'm bringing him indoors during the day so I can actually measure how much he is eating. Luckily since being on antibiotics since Sunday, he is now starting to eat grass on the lawn and also Burgess excell Rolled grass and dandelion Nature snacks - which is the closest he has got to eating dried grass/hay! maybe etra fruit, apple banana and carrot, and someone also said porridge oats is good for putting weight on.

We're going to call a couple of rabbit savi vets tomorrow morning and see what their opinions are! Can't believe how little vets know about rabbits. She is basically just skin and bone at the moment, but really really hoping i can get her weight up. Hope it's not too late for her!!

Thanks for the feedback!

You can always ask on here for vet recommendations :) just open a new thread titled something like 'vet recommendation for **** area'

I would not have a rabbit spayed by anyone but a truly rabbit savvy vet. It's major surgery. A neuter, maybe, as long as you questioned the vet about (a) fasting beforehand (don't); and (b) type of anesthesia, but spaying is scary. That's why I'm glad I adopt - they come pre-done, no angst!

Yes it is certainly possible to still have her spayed. Unfortunately we have had experience with this recently, my mum's bun Socks went in to be spayed and it was discovered she had cancer, sadly it was too late for her as it had already spread. Her other female bun Smokey was spayed last week and tumors were also found, but the whole lot was removed and it's hoped that she will make a full recovery.

My mums thoughts were that it was best to try seeing as the cancer would have killed her anyway. If she was to go in for the op and go under the anaesthetic, she had been given the best chance and would have gone peacefully. Thankfully she pulled through.

Do you keep a record of Gracie's normal weight? There is no 'standard' weight for spaying as it depends on the breed. What area are you in and someone will be able to recommend a good rabbit vet for a second opinion :wave:

E. If you are unsure about her spay status, the vet can shave her tummy and have a look for a spay scar. How old is Gracie?

Gracie is probably about 4 - 5 years old! We adopted her with her neutered hubby and were informed she was spayed! Thats made me angry as i could have spayed her myself had i known!

We live in canvey island so our nearest rabbit savvi vet is south beech in wickford. We have been there before, Unfortunately by the time we were referred to south beech by our own vet it was a little too late for Pepper (gracies 1st hubby)! I'm hoping that the fact she still has a good appetite is a good sign! But when she was last weighed 3-4 weeks ago she was 1.09kg so she is losing weight fast now!

Any other suggested vets would be appreciated!

Thank you for all your feedback! X

I think before you make a decision about putting her through an op, you need to find out if the cancer has spread, if it has there is probably nothing more you can do but keep her comfortable. Sorry.
I would get x-rays and an ultrasound scan done to try an confirm this and what and where the tumour is. Obviously there is more risk if she is underweight, but at the same time an overweight animal is more tricky. I think try to get an experienced vet as soon as possible, because you really need to determine what it going on and get it treated quickly- if you can.
Hope things can be treated.

Thank you for all advice.:)

Good news is that we have got an appointment with a rabbit expert at South Beech in Wickford. Unfortunately this is not until Monday, as the vet that treats all rabbits isn't in until then. It's very difficult to know whats the best thing to do, but she is doing well at the moment (other than the weight loss). Last time we thought South Beech were brilliant although Pepper passed away under anaesthetic. My only regret is that we should have taken her there from the start instead of our local vet. :(

My old bun Daisy had a uterine tumour found when she was nearly 7. My vet spayed her and luckily it hadn't spread and she lived for another 3 and a half years. I think it really depends whether it's spread or not obviously. I do hope that your bun can be sorted out and helped:)

Back