• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I cut Smoo! UD/She's back!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I checked her bum and I literally thought she had fly strike. She was covered in a sort of red brown liquid that looked like poo and blood. It might have been wee. There was so much of it and the fur was matted. I lifted it up and it went all the way to the skin. So I thought I better cut away the fur to make sure there were no maggots. She had hay and grit stuck to her too. As I cut at the fur I cut her skin, but there wasn't much blood. Just a drop but I cut her quite a lot. :cry:

I don't know what I did because there was so much matted, soaked fur. I quickly ran a lukewarm bath and soaked her bum. She got really stressed so I did the best I could and got her out and dried her. Rang the emergency vets in a panic. She said that there wouldn't be too much she could do tonight. I'm pretty sure it was my bunny savvy vet I spoke to. She wouldn't anaesthetise her tonight so it would be better to wait until the morning and they could look properly. She's calmed down now. I've moved everything up to the bedroom so she doesn't have to go back outside. She's eaten too.

I just can't believe I cut her. :cry: In all my years with rabbits I've never cut a rabbit while clipping them. I feel so awful. I can't believe how bad her fur was. I was expecting to see maggots at any second. I check them every day. I don't know what caused it. I'm so worried. This isn't the first time she's got badly matted near her bum and I'm not sure what's causing it. She's not overweight and eats a proper bunny diet. It might be she has a huge overhang of skin over her bum. I think that's what I cut.

Please send her vibes. Will get an appointment in the morning. It's not on her bum but to the side, next to her tail.

:cry:

try not to panic or smoo will sense it. as she has settled and you've cleaned her up, make sure she's eating, drinking, pooping and weeing and as your vet suggested, pop her along tomorrow.

did it seem to be wee or poo? xx

I think maybe red wee. Maybe because she ate the olive tree bark. But that was the day before yesterday. :?

:oops: :( I cut my late rabbit, Izzy, and also my maltese. They barely bled and just jerked when I cut them... Don't feel too bad about it, at least Smoo won't even remember it in the future.

god I had to bath Matilda frequently when she was left incontinant from giving birth! it not easy!!

I cut one of Albert nails to short once, blood everywhere!!! wash with salt water and it healed on it own! x

She just binkied. :shock:
I think she's okay. But I'll get her to the vets and get them to shave her to be on the safe side. She might need a couple of stitches.

I have ripped my Inca's skin before when i was trying to get a matt out. I cleaned her up with cooled boiled water with a bit of salt in it, it healed up quick smart :)

Don't panic. If it was bad, wouldn't she have blood going on her fur ?

It was an accident and Smoo would have forgotten now. Binkies is a good sign, she probably loves it in your room.

Sorry I dont have any useful advice. On a few occasions I made one of my females bleed when I clipped her nail. Felt so bad, but when I started taking her to the vets, they did too.

Hugs. xxxxx

I cut her a lot. About a centimeter through the skin so it's a 2cm opening. :cry:

I think it needs medical intervention. And I want them to shave her. I just don't understand why she gets so matted. I brush her with a cat brush to get all the matts out. I hadn't for a little while because I thought she was on top of it but she obviously wasn't.

She was sat out in the rain. So maybe it got wet and then she sat in her pee?

I don't know. Thanks for replying. I'm sure she'll be fine. Just worried.

If she is eating and pooing etc, then sounds like she is fine for now, other than a glue stitch or whatever the vet recommends and some abx for a few days.

I know I panic so much.

Vibes for your lovely cheese and olive eating Smoo.

I checked her at 5am and she was sprawled out fast asleep on my bedroom floor. (Kept them in overnight to avoid chills from being wet and of course flystrike.) The both ran up to see me for snuggles. She's now helping Grim eat his breakfast. Acting as if nothing's wrong. The earliest appointment I could get at the vets was 1.20 if I wanted to see my vet, so as she doesn't seem to be in too much distress I'm taking her then as I know she'll be in excellent hands.

Thanks for asking about her. I still feel bad and I think she's going to get spoiled a bit to make up for it.

Don't feel bad, it was an accident, and easy to do. I cut my cat Nugget's skin once when trying to get rid of some tangles. I felt awful. He went to the grooming parlour regularly after that. I just didn't trust myself.

I hope she'll be OK. Sending lots of vibes for Smoo xx

aw dear :( sending you vibes...

dont worry too much about the cut i am sure it wont be as bad as you are thinking. In my fairly limited experience rabbits wounds heal quickly it must only a a shallow cut and it will be clean. just put some salt water on it and it will help. she might have not liked the washing but overall she will probably prefer it to the poopy bum.

I once let my Flopsy out and had forgotton Barney was still out, and in the seconds it took me to separate them Barney ended up with 4 holes in his back from teeth! i felt so so awful as it was my fault BUT with he miracel of salt water they healed up fine in a few days. and Barney still loved me :) it prob wouldnt have been so bad if barney could stand his ground but he is about half the size of Flops!

Awh poor Smoo :( Don't feel too bad, it probably looked much worse than it is! Some cuts can bleed like little ******* although they aren't that bad, and then if Smoo weed it probably looked even worse coz it diluted it and spread it :) Hopefully she'll only need a couple of stitches, if that! Don't feel too bad, she's probably only a little uncomfortable if that and it's much better than the alternative scenario of flystrike :) Hope the vets goes well, Nenä & Täplä send noserubs!

I'm sure it'll be fine Jenova - accidents happen to us all, this is just one of these things.

You've done the right thing, you've contacted a vet, you are getting her there as soon as possible, and thats great :)

Back