• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sue is now very thin

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I don't think my darling Sue will be with me much longer. She is now incredibly thin and is getting urine stains on her back legs:( I'm very wary of bathing her in case she gets a chill but I know it's important because of fly strike.

I am sure I have asked this before but can't find the thread. Sue has only half a kidney working - she isn't on any medication but I am giving her a low calcium, high calorie diet. The vet is amazed she has lasted as long as she has and had no idea how to treat her:( Is there anything else I can do?

I've built some steps out of large bricks so she can get out of her hutch - she tried to jump in and fell backwards before which nearly broke my heart:( She won't use the steps to come out of the hutch but if I put her in the run she will use them to go back in.

She is still enjoying her noms and ate a whole pear and apple this morning while I was cleaning out the hutches. I put her in the front garden at tea-time and she amazed me by bounding down the grass to the buns who were in a run. She then settled down to nom the tasty weeds and brambles.

She is so thin I do worry she is suffering and I know if I take her to my vet he will say he thinks she should be PTS as he intimated that about a year ago but I didn't think she was ready. I believe she still has a reasonable quality of life but maybe I am fooling myself.

She is eating, drinking and interacting with the other buns who come and visit her in her hutch when she doesn't want to come out - it's so sweet. She looks so thin that if someone visited who didn't know me they would probably report me to the RSPCA for neglecting her:(

I can really feel your love for this bunny through your writing :love:

But I'm sorry I have no idea of an answer. Hopefully someone will come along who knows soon.

So sorry to read this about Sue. I don't know about kidney problems with rabbits but do with my cat. The time came when she was no longer eating or drinking and rarely went to the litter tray, no poo for a few days. The weight loss was rapid, within a few weeks, but she wasn't eating or even interested in eating.

We bought all her favourites and forbidden food, like cream and cooked chicken.

If Sue is eating and drinking, she still sounds fine to me. And the interacting. My cat lost all interest in life and just slept on our bed.

The time doesn't sound like it for Sue.

Hope that helps. Vibes to your Sue. xxx

Sending loads of vibes for her. From experience you will no when its time and by the sounds of it she is still enjoying life.

My 8.5 year old bunny nearly died of kidney failure.when he had a nasty bladder stone which caused a bladder infection.
The first round of medication didn't work he got so thin he was only skin amd bones. We then included cantaris c30 (or cantharis not entirely sure.how it is spelt) a homeopathic remedy. He improved really quickly.
I have made fantastic experiences using homepathy to support treatment with bunnies.
Cantharis c30 is great for bladder and kidney issues.
In my case it even flushed the bladder stone out.

You can probably get it in independemt pharmacies.

She's in a home full of love.

Its so hard but I think you'll know when the time is right. Thinking of you.
x

Thank you so much everyone.

I will print off the link, Jane and take it to my vet.

I picked Sue up and put her in her hutch where she went straight to her noms. She really enjoyed free ranging today. I will try and let her out tomorrow too. She is so good as she doesn't go under the shrubs or brambles so she is easy to catch when it's bed time.

I just need to try and find ways to get her to put some weight on. She loves oats and weetabix as well as bread. She doesn't eat many pellets now but really enjoys apple, pear and carrot.

It's amazing watching her in the garden as it's a bit of a jungle and she will nom some plants and not others - it's as though she knows what she needs. There are a lot of weeds and brambles out there so she has a lot of choice.

Sue is such a good natured bun. The only time she bit me was after Peggy died and she was all over the place and I think she blamed me for taking them both to the vet where Peggy died:(. Bonding her with my trio really lifted her spirits and they are all so gentle with her. Sadly, she doesn't go out and play with them but they take turns to go into her hutch and sit with her.

I am sitting here in tears thinking of losing her. Being a bunny mummy is so hard sometimes:(

Is there any chance your vet may look into fortekor? They use it in cats for kidney failure, so i wonder if that may be an option for you?

Also, does Sue have dandelions and parsley a lot? If so, try and avoid them as they are diuretics so are having a detrimental effect on the half a working kidney that is left :wave:

Also, i can't remember if i've mentione dbefore, but would protexin profibre pellets be an option to feed Sue independantly? They've performed outstandingly here, and Ginger has put on a good amount of weight and is holding it. On the occasion i once ran out and didnt get any for 2 days, she immediately lost some of that weight, but going back on it again, came back up again :)

Big vibes for Sue and for you Rhianna :)

Thank you all for your support.

I do give Sue parsley and dandelions, Graham:oops::oops: I feel awful now.

Where can I get protexin profibre from? Is it only available on prescription?

I am going to be sitting in the garden later so will put Sue out again. Am trying to make her summer as lovely as I can. Shame I have to go back to work next week:( All my fur family so love having me home.

Thank you all for your support.

I do give Sue parsley and dandelions, Graham:oops::oops: I feel awful now.

Where can I get protexin profibre from? Is it only available on prescription?

I am going to be sitting in the garden later so will put Sue out again. Am trying to make her summer as lovely as I can. Shame I have to go back to work next week:( All my fur family so love having me home.

Don't feel awful. I didnt know either, until someone on RU told me :wave:

Protexin Profibre is here: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178 Its quite expensive though, and we get through about ~1.5-2 pots per month.

You can buy it from Vet UK online or your vets will probably order it in. It's about £13. The brambles she's eating are full of fibre too though.

She sounds like she's still having a happy life.

Just put her out in the garden as I am home now for a couple of hours. She has started nomming brambles straight away. If I pick them for her she doesn't seem to eat them though - weird!!

I have bought her some little weetabix pieces with dried banana in as I thought she may like those more than the ordinary weetabix. I spent more on her cereal than I do on my own!! She eats a lot more fruit than I do too. I've got some carrot batons for her as well as I think they will be easier for her to eat - nomming a whole carrot seems to wear her out a bit.

Is it just parsley I shouldn't be giving her or all herbs?

She still really kicks me when I pick her up to check her bottom or put her outside. Her bottom fur isn't wet today, which is good.

She is such a special bun - I am soaking up every moment with her:love:

I will print off this thread and highlight the suggestions for my vet to look at.

Just put her out in the garden as I am home now for a couple of hours. She has started nomming brambles straight away. If I pick them for her she doesn't seem to eat them though - weird!!

I have bought her some little weetabix pieces with dried banana in as I thought she may like those more than the ordinary weetabix. I spent more on her cereal than I do on my own!! She eats a lot more fruit than I do too. I've got some carrot batons for her as well as I think they will be easier for her to eat - nomming a whole carrot seems to wear her out a bit.

Is it just parsley I shouldn't be giving her or all herbs?

She still really kicks me when I pick her up to check her bottom or put her outside. Her bottom fur isn't wet today, which is good.

She is such a special bun - I am soaking up every moment with her:love:

I will print off this thread and highlight the suggestions for my vet to look at.

Parsley is the only one i avoid like the plague. Ginger has suffered no further adverse affects from other herbs, we just avoid Dandelions and Parsley :wave:

Obviously, Sue's condition is very different to Gingers, but similar, if you get me?

Sue enjoyed her time in the garden. I received a card reminding me her myxi vaccination is due. In one way it's good as it means the vet will come to me as I've now timed it so all the buns are due together. He can look at Sue without the stress of me taking her to the surgery. It makes her heart beat so fast I wouldn't take her now unless she was suffering.

I don't think Sue should have the vaccination this time as she is so incredibly thin.

I couldn't have picked a worst month for their vaccinations to be done as my car insurance needs renewing and my car MOT and service is due. The buns take priority over the service:)

Sue absolutely loved the tiny weetabix with dried banana. Am hoping they may help put some weight on her.

I'll let her go outside again tomorrow if the weather is OK. Seeing her bound down the garden is wonderful:love:

Back