• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Coli - Pet Rabbits at risk?

barney_b

New Kit
Hi,

Obviously there's a lot of press coverage about the E.Coli outbreak in Europe, from what I can tell the biggest risk is from fresh veg. Although we wash our rabbits veg is there anything else we should be doing or is it as per usual being blown out of proportion?

Thanks.

Where abouts are you? As far as I've read, there is no link to veg in the UK. The only cases in the UK presently are from people that have recently been to Germany.

I think this outbreak is being linked to spanish cucumbers in particular, although i've not seen the news today so maybe it's been updated? but yesterday they showed youpictues of the cucumbers and they're those foreign type ones that are dark green, fat and nobbly and look a bit like courgettes when you cut into them, not as watery as the type you get here so I think we are probably ok with the ones we get here, but liek I said on Jacks-Janes other thread, I don't trust salad full stop for the simple reason you can't cook it - for us you can wash it in Milton sterilising fluid but not for the buns, mine don't get anything salady though only Curly Kale, Spring Greens, a little bit of carrot occasionally and herbs, so hopefully that kind of thing would be ok.

It's not the cucumbers.

I would be wary of any vegetables from germany, but I don't think I've ever seen any on UK shelves.

I was thinking exactly the same thing on my way home today...

Guessed i had to make sure the vegs are from Uk instead of anywhere else..

AFAIK, people who have cases in the UK all have links to Germany and have thought to have contracted it from there. The advice to humans is to avoid raw tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers in Germany, and to thoroughly wash all veg, especially salad veg, over here.

Letttuce, cucumber and toms aren't things which should be fed regularly anyway, so you could always cut them out for a while and stick to spring greens etc if you're worried.

Back