• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT head tilt U/D pic p65

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Victor (7yr old)

She is just getting him in a carrier

Mum just called said wobbly, head slightly tilted.

I know panacur and metacam... anything else?

Last edited:
Effective antibiotics (not Baytril)- my vet uses Convenia ever 7 days for head tilt (others I have seen others mention are Zithromax, Depocillin and there will be others too). Sometimes something like stemetil if the bunny is disorientated.

Thank you Sky. I don't know how bad, but she thought he was fitting in carrier (think it was him rolling) so got her to roll up towels.

She is on the way and will tell the vets my list of drugs when she arrives. Just wanted to make sure I have it all.

Will he be okay at home in a small crate? My mum is going out at around 8pm overnight, I am back at 11am. I said have him admitted as I am at the vets tomorrow evening and can pick him up, she seems to think he would fair better in the small crate in my room.

If he can't eat for himself then that's not ok. If he is rolling when on firm ground then he may not be able to right himself

Potentially if he is able to eat and is bright and not rolling when on firm ground, then having him in a crate, with rolled up towels around the edge, and something like a folded up duvet on the floor, then it might be ok.

If your vets are staffed overnight, that is likely to be a better option.

She is at the vets now and will update me when seen.

She isn't sure if she is in or out overnight but I said judge him when on consult table, and decide from how his balance/co-ordination is as to whether he will be okay or not back at home.

Sending lots of healing recovery vibes xxxxx

Everything has already been said about meds but all I can add is that with catching early makes it even better for recovery. My Darcy had 3 months intense medication and made a full recovery. He is left with a slight head tilt and catarax but no serious illness.

IMO he cannot be left alone overnight, eating or not.

I would want him admitted, assuming you now use a different Vet...............

When our Wilson started with headtilt to start off with he was just on baytril, panacur & metacam - this was when his head was only slightly tilted. He then got progressively worse & his tilt changed sides - it was so bad his down eye was almost horizontal to the floor. We then changed him to steroid injections, depocillin injections & panacur - again sadly these did nothing for him.

He was having severe rolling episodes & we had to confine him to a padded cage for around 6 weeks approx 3ft x 1 1/2 feet. Eventually after bunny mad lisa on RU suggested it - we talked to our vet about Zithromax - Lisa had, had great results with it her for her headtilt bunny - we felt we had no options left but to try it.

We switched him onto Zithromax & also started him on stemetil (human anti sickness drug) - continued with his panacur & I *think* his steroid injections. After just over a week of this treatment he was well enough to come out of his cage & go back with his partner Alice. We'd kept them in the same room at all times, but had to confine Wilson to a cage so he didn't hurt himself or Alice.

I have been told & read that the best way to deal with headtilt is to treat with as much strength of medication as possible - I think basically to try to beat the infection before it gets worse.

We never got to the bottom of what caused Wilson's headtilt & even now his head is still almost at 90 degrees to the floor, but he manages absolutely fine & has learnt to live with his head like this. Touchwood he no longer rolls & has managed to adjust to life with a wonky head over two years since first becoming poorly.

Wilson's original thread is below - warning though it is very long, as we had another 2 sick buns at the time

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...lsons+headtilt

I wouldn't leave Victor alone over night even if he's eating - if he starts rolling even if he is confined to a cage, it can be distressing for them & they need re-assurance or even help to right themselves. Wilson was so stressed when he first become ill & started rolling - he needed re-assurance & comforting.

I don't know what vets you use etc or what their options are for keeping him overnight, but imo he needs someone there to ensure he is ok & not be left on his own.

Thank you all so much.

Mum is now going to stay with him overnight, and have her boyfriend come over to ours instead.

He is on Panacur, convenia every 7 days and she said cortisone injections every 2-3 days.

Mum is going to line the crate with vet bed, and roll towels around him, checking every few hours

Last edited:
Bless him - fingers crossed Victor responds to treatment. Headtilt is awful :cry:

Just thought another thing we did for Wilson was give him a cushion to rest his head on - it did seem to provide him with relief & somewhere to rest his poor head :(

Personally I would not be happy for any of my Rabbits to have Convenia.

I do have some concerns about Convenia I have to say. I used to use it in cats and dogs without any problems, but obviously they are very different inside to rabbits! The Pfizer rep has been so far unable to provide any independent data on duration of action in small mammals, but I have found that in various species the reported action duration is very different - 2weeks in cats/dogs, 12hrs in horses and less than 24hours in reptiles, which does not correlate well with metabolic rate and typical drug breakdown for these species. I am hesitant to use a potentially dysbiotic drug when I am not confident of the pharmacokinetics and it could last anywhere between a few hours to a few weeks!
Having said that, colleagues have used it in rabbits and other small mammals occasionally with no problems seen, but I would provide probiotics, possibly with Questran as Jane mentioned and keep a close eye on appetite and poos!

I would prefer an injectable penicillin (Depocillin)

I would also want to move from Cortisone to Metacam ASAP.

I knew there was a reason I stopped trying to help. Sorry Kris, Jane, Victor and everyone.

When could I start the depo and metacam, as he has already had both other drugs? Is there any waiting period?

Sky don't apologise, you have helped many rabbits in the past, mine included :)

Thank you all so much.

Mum is now going to stay with him overnight, and have her boyfriend come over to ours instead.

He is on Panacur, convenia every 7 days and she said cortisone injections every 2-3 days.

Mum is going to line the crate with vet bed, and roll towels around him, checking every few hours

needs metacam too as this will reduce pain and reduce brain swelling lessoning the siezures xx

You should always double check meds with your vet. But personally I would start my bunny with metacam now. It is not only pain relief but the anti-inflammatory will ease the headtilt itself and neck.

Back