• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are these poos?

Leximo

Young Bun
I checked Buddy's littertray and I noticed several of these really small and dark poops:

rlcks1.png

They are very hard and solid all the way through. The rest of his poops are lovely, big and golden - he has been eating plenty of hay and drinking plenty of water. He hasn't had any pellets today (he gets an eggcup full of SS in the evening) - he has only had hay, water and I gave him two of these treats (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/nutri-care-treat-ums-by-mark-and-chappell-25535)

He is acting normal but I'm just worrying because I've never seen poos like these before. :? I'm wondering if they are down to the kind of treats I have him, but he had two of them yesterday as well and I didn't notice his poos changing.

It looks like he might have eaten something that didn't suit him. Keep a close eye on him and make sure he's eating normally, and stop feeding the treats to see if his poops improve.

Thanks for your help :D

He was freeranging today but I was watching him 24/7 - it's possible that he had a nibble of one of the plants, but I was watching him constantly the whole time he was running around :? I'll keep a close eye on him anyway.

Do you think I should feed him on hay only until the small poos go away, or should I still give him his portion of pellets in the evening?

Mine get poos like this on occasion. As long as the majority are as normal I don't worry too much, just keep an eye on the buns. The poos soon go back to normal.

I looked closer and I noticed his golden poos were quite squishy, and there was an uneaten caecotroph in there too :( I just hope that I'm overrating. He is acting normal and still doing lots of binkies, so hopefully he will just go back to normal.

Thanks again for the advice :wave:

I have a bun that poos like this on excel and doesn't eat hardly any hay due to being a dental bunny.

Perhaps a dental check is in order?
x

Nope, he is an outdoor bun. He is used to the grass and he free ranges every day, so I don't think it has anything to do with him eating too much grass. I suspect it is either a plant he has nibbled or maybe the treats I gave him :oops::?

I have a bun that poos like this on excel and doesn't eat hardly any hay due to being a dental bunny.

Perhaps a dental check is in order?
x
He is still tucking into his hay and eating lots of it, and he scoffed up his pellets as normal :) Could dental issues still be a possibility if he hasn't exhibited any loss of appetite? xx

I've cleaned out his litter tray so I can see what the recent poos are like, I'll update asap :wave:

Just a question - can moulting affect the poos a rabbit produces? I know that they can produce the 'chain' poops, however can moulting cause poos to become darker/smaller?

Buddy is going through his first moult at the moment :wave:

Just a question - can moulting affect the poos a rabbit produces? I know that they can produce the 'chain' poops, however can moulting cause poos to become darker/smaller?

Buddy is going through his first moult at the moment :wave:

Moulting tends to make Mini's sticky bum flare up. I know it takes a lot of energy out of them to moult.

I have 2 bunnies, mother and son, who are prone to stasis. They get these poos just before they get constipated and go into stasis.

Keep A Close eye on him.

Back