PDA

View Full Version : What are these poos?

Leximo
02-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I checked Buddy's littertray and I noticed several of these really small and dark poops:

http://i56.tinypic.com/rlcks1.png

They are very hard and solid all the way through. The rest of his poops are lovely, big and golden - he has been eating plenty of hay and drinking plenty of water. He hasn't had any pellets today (he gets an eggcup full of SS in the evening) - he has only had hay, water and I gave him two of these treats (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/nutri-care-treat-ums-by-mark-and-chappell-25535)

He is acting normal but I'm just worrying because I've never seen poos like these before. :? I'm wondering if they are down to the kind of treats I have him, but he had two of them yesterday as well and I didn't notice his poos changing.

abbymarysmokey
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
It looks like he might have eaten something that didn't suit him. Keep a close eye on him and make sure he's eating normally, and stop feeding the treats to see if his poops improve.

Leximo
02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your help :D

He was freeranging today but I was watching him 24/7 - it's possible that he had a nibble of one of the plants, but I was watching him constantly the whole time he was running around :? I'll keep a close eye on him anyway.

Do you think I should feed him on hay only until the small poos go away, or should I still give him his portion of pellets in the evening?

abbymarysmokey
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I would keep all his usual foods the same.

Elena
02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Mine get poos like this on occasion. As long as the majority are as normal I don't worry too much, just keep an eye on the buns. The poos soon go back to normal.

Leximo
02-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I looked closer and I noticed his golden poos were quite squishy, and there was an uneaten caecotroph in there too :( I just hope that I'm overrating. He is acting normal and still doing lots of binkies, so hopefully he will just go back to normal.

Thanks again for the advice :wave:

poppymoon
02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
is he usually an indoor bun who has been free ranging outside?

Ambience
02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a bun that poos like this on excel and doesn't eat hardly any hay due to being a dental bunny.

Perhaps a dental check is in order?
x

Leximo
02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Nope, he is an outdoor bun. He is used to the grass and he free ranges every day, so I don't think it has anything to do with him eating too much grass. I suspect it is either a plant he has nibbled or maybe the treats I gave him :oops::?

Leximo
02-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a bun that poos like this on excel and doesn't eat hardly any hay due to being a dental bunny.

Perhaps a dental check is in order?
x
He is still tucking into his hay and eating lots of it, and he scoffed up his pellets as normal :) Could dental issues still be a possibility if he hasn't exhibited any loss of appetite? xx

I've cleaned out his litter tray so I can see what the recent poos are like, I'll update asap :wave:

Leximo
02-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Just a question - can moulting affect the poos a rabbit produces? I know that they can produce the 'chain' poops, however can moulting cause poos to become darker/smaller?

Buddy is going through his first moult at the moment :wave:

Elena
02-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Just a question - can moulting affect the poos a rabbit produces? I know that they can produce the 'chain' poops, however can moulting cause poos to become darker/smaller?

Buddy is going through his first moult at the moment :wave:

Moulting tends to make Mini's sticky bum flare up. I know it takes a lot of energy out of them to moult.

Hoppla
02-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I have 2 bunnies, mother and son, who are prone to stasis. They get these poos just before they get constipated and go into stasis.

Keep A Close eye on him.