• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your buns hating or enjoying the heat??

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
It's boiling here!! I am currently acting like a slave to my rabbits and guineas making sure they have everything to keep them cool! The guineas are sensible, I have left a little area of their run unshaded so they can sit in the sun for a little bit if they wish but for the most of the time they are in the shade, whereas the bunnies are sat in the area of sun in their run, not bothering with their shade, wet towel over one area, ice pod etc :roll: I have seen them move into the shade though if they get too warm which is good. They seem to be enjoying the sunshine! My sister is sat out next to their run sunbathing too :roll: Beano and Gordon are finding this new person very interesting and are keeping a close eye on her though!

What are you doing to keep your buns cool? Mine currently have lots of shade, a wet towel over one area of their run, an ice pod, plenty of cold water to drink and I am just about to take them and the guineas a little slice of cold cucumber each.

Mine are indoors and my house seems to be amazing, its really cool when its hot outside and when its really warm when its cold out :)
I have a fan in case the house fails me and it's too hot for them

Mine are indoor buns and luckily it stays relatively cool in here until the late afternoon. Thats when I crack out the frozen water bottles. If they get really hot I put abit of cool water on their ears too.
Mine find the heat tough going and will mostly just flop when its really hot, but they LOVE the sunshine and are always in a great mood and extra naughty on sunny days :love:

It's boiling here!! I am currently acting like a slave to my rabbits and guineas making sure they have everything to keep them cool! The guineas are sensible, I have left a little area of their run unshaded so they can sit in the sun for a little bit if they wish but for the most of the time they are in the shade, whereas the bunnies are sat in the area of sun in their run, not bothering with their shade, wet towel over one area, ice pod etc :roll: I have seen them move into the shade though if they get too warm which is good. They seem to be enjoying the sunshine! My sister is sat out next to their run sunbathing too :roll: Beano and Gordon are finding this new person very interesting and are keeping a close eye on her though!
What are you doing to keep your buns cool? Mine currently have lots of shade, a wet towel over one area of their run, an ice pod, plenty of cold water to drink and I am just about to take them and the guineas a little slice of cold cucumber each.

:lol::lol: I think we need pics of this!!

Bouncers hutch & run only gets the sun first & last thing & being on the patio keeps fairly cool under foot. He has a tile to lie on also, a large box to climb inside & plenty of water. Paw-Paws set up gets more of the sun but there is always at least 1/2 of in the shade. Like Bouncers set up, the hutch sits above the run and so this provides a shady spot (in addition to going inside the hutch itself) plus the end which gets the most sun has a reflective windscreen cover wrapped around it. This is on 24/7 as it also acts a wind break.

Savannahs hutch & run is down the side of the house and like Bouncers, only gets the sun first & last thing and the back of her set up is always shady. She seemed to enjoy flopping in the sun this morning but I doubt she'd want to stay there all day, she still has a good winter coat :shock:

The hutches are also covered with tarpaulin but this is bungeed down at a angle allowing the air to flow underneath.

I am off out this pm until late this evening so just about to go and put some frozen water bottles with each of them too. OH is giving them their tea around 5pm and will re-fill their water etc.

:wave:

My house is cool too for my rats and frogs :)

Fluffers, my sister has come inside now :roll: She has decided spending a day at home is too boring so has got on a bus to meet someone. Sounds like some good idea's there, I have a frozen water bottle in the freezer incase they need another thing or to swap round with :)

Mine seem fine I've cleaned them out early today and will just keep changing water etc, we have a bit of a cool breeze being near the sea so it's not that warm in the shade and they all have the option of sun or shade, all opting for shade, I've got icepods aswell but they seem to give them a lick and then aren't bothered, it keeps going cloudy then sunny then cloudy atm.

one of my piggies just scared the life out of me!

all pigs are out in runs. each run has a cool wooden hut inside and a sunshade over 2/3 of it. edgar and ellie are both in their wooden hut snoozing. fudge (my black pig) was lying full stretch in blazing sunlight!!! scared the hell out of me so i walked over and she just looked at me and moved:lol:

i really thought she's baked herself!

out of all my furries, the 2 daftest ones wher sunshine is concerned are the 2 black ones:?

one of my piggies just scared the life out of me!

all pigs are out in runs. each run has a cool wooden hut inside and a sunshade over 2/3 of it. edgar and ellie are both in their wooden hut snoozing. fudge (my black pig) was lying full stretch in blazing sunlight!!! scared the hell out of me so i walked over and she just looked at me and moved:lol:

i really thought she's baked herself!

out of all my furries, the 2 daftest ones wher sunshine is concerned are the 2 black ones:?

:shock: :lol: One of my guinea's does that, I got used to it after the third or fourth time!

Oh dear :( I do feel sorry for them when it's so hot.

Have a fan blowing down on them and all the windows open as our house gets very stuffy. Both are very floppy today, whereas yesterday were very active all day basically.

Have a fan blowing down on them and all the windows open as our house gets very stuffy. Both are very floppy today, whereas yesterday were very active all day basically.

Mine are all chilled out such a tough life :lol:- sounds like they will be active tonight instead hehe hope your not planning on a early night :lol::lol:

Its very cool, especially in the back half of the flat, so they are fine.

If it gets too warm in the coming weeks, the chinchillas will have to moved into this part as well.

Buckley didn't seem impressed until I put the fan on.
He has a love/hate relationship with the fan. He loves the cool air, hates the actual fan.

He's coping better with it than I am to be fair. I 2 thirds filled an empty wine bottle and stuck it in the freezer for later cos we're going out and I don't want to leave the rickety fan on while we aren't here, especially as there is nowhere to hide the cable from bunny teefs.

Its very cool, especially in the back half of the flat, so they are fine.

If it gets too warm in the coming weeks, the chinchillas will have to moved into this part as well.

Oh yeah, I looked after a chinchilla when it was warm for a week, I was quite worried about him as I belive they can't be kept in high temperatures? He was fine though with me being careful about the temp :)

It's not overly hot here, they have 2 big ceramic tiles to lie on but Pie is happy munching and Obie is a sun worshipper anyway, so neither of them seem to mind it. Besides we have all the windows open at the moment.

Back