• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Bluebell

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Well, we've been doing very well on a daily nebuliser of Baytril, very well in fact despite slow progress at first. We finished the last of the course and he was doing so great we've tried a week with no meds. Sneezing has increased and he seems uncomfortable again so we are back off to the vets.

Does anyone know how long he can stay on Bayril, he must of been on it about 4-5 months now. Also can i ask my vet for a prescription so I can buy a whole bottle as they only give me tiny amounts and I have to go back every five mins? Do they charge for a prescription?

I'm wondering whether to suggest Depocillin to the vet but I'm not sure where he stands on penicillin and I can't find any data sheets on the net that don't say do not give to rabbits.

Tila was on oral Baytril for months on end with osteomyelitis - you should be able to get a whole bottle, I usually have some spare just in case. :)

Not sure about current practice with penicillin and rabbits but I'm guessing its safe/common because it was suggested to me as a possible future treatment for Tila and have read a few threads on here where the buns are on depocillin...

Are they like humans where some are intolerant/allergic to it?

Penicillin is very strong on bunnies guts and can upset the balance, hence why vets are wary of it, but we've kinda exhausted other medications. Baytril is the only thing thats worked, but I'm worried about how safe long term use is, it feels like he'll be on it for ever.

The C&S showed that Baytril was effective, though they couldn't identify exactly what the infection was, they thought it may of been aspegillis but nothing grew.

No dental issues.

Vet has advised there may always be some degree of sneezing as they think there is a lot of scar tissue now.

Are you talking penicillin orally? They don't do that.
When my vets suggested it to me they said it will be by injection, oral penicillin is toxic to bunnies. Does not have to bypass the gut, therefore doesn't destroy the bacteria. :wave:

Back