• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Fifi having major op today :( UD Sounding okay...

Bink

Mama Doe
Yesterday when checking the buns for flystrike/mucky bum we noticed Fifi had a scab on the inner thigh area of her hind leg. On closer inspection for a clean up, it revealed a gaping wound with muscle on display :(

Needless to say we boxed her and George up and whizzed them to the vets, and he said it's the worst bite he's ever seen and that she'll require a major operation to pull everything back together again. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and congratulated Fifi that there were no flies in the wound.

I can't believe it. George and Fifi have been bonded for almost a year, and to be fair they have been chasing and nipping occasionally but no major scraps. If it was a scrap. We're checking everything in the hutch and run today to make sure there is nothing sharp we have missed that maybe she caught herself on. For such a serious looking wound, she was hopping around as normal, nomming, pooping, snuggling with George, I guess we are lucky that we spotted it.

He says all being well it should only be a day case. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:
what a shock for you - especially as she showed no signs of discomfort.

everything crossed that her op goes well today xx

Have just spoken to the vet, Fifi has come through the operation which is excellent news; he was worried yesterday that she might have damaged other 'structures' in her body. He described it as a "major stitch up" and explained that she will need a decent course of antibiotics.

We are able to pick her up at 16.30. I can't wait.

ETA: Thanks all for the vibes, they were much appreciated.

I'm glad she's come through her op ok, and I hope her bond remains intact.

Its frightening how badly a rabbit can injure another - they have such sharp teeth, and when they want to, the injuries can be horrific.

I remember Strawberry having a hole ripped through her abdomen by her sister - they'd lived together for nearly a year when that happened. She required stitching also, and I pulled her out of the trio as I couldn't risk it happening again (Strawbs was the one that was always ostracised by her mum and sister)

I'm glad she's come through her op ok, and I hope her bond remains intact.

Its frightening how badly a rabbit can injure another - they have such sharp teeth, and when they want to, the injuries can be horrific.

I remember Strawberry having a hole ripped through her abdomen by her sister - they'd lived together for nearly a year when that happened. She required stitching also, and I pulled her out of the trio as I couldn't risk it happening again (Strawbs was the one that was always ostracised by her mum and sister)

That's the next thing to worry about :( George is miserable at the moment, she's only been away from him for 5 hours. He is slumped under his wooden bridge (still eating and pooping) but clearly feeling sorry for himself.

We are going to take our time and re-introduce very gradually. They are normally so loved up and relaxed together, I hope their bond can make it through this.

Only an hour and a half until we can get the girl.

Her ladyship is feeling very fragile :( Although she has eaten well and pooped which is a huge relief, she is clearly not 100%. She has to go back on Saturday for a check up and then if all is well she can go another two weeks before another check up.

The wound is huge, the vet said that in 9 out of 10 instances he would have thought it would have been infested with maggots, so we've been very very lucky. He said he isnt sure that the muscle will mend successfully, so it's definitely early days.

Her ladyship is feeling very fragile :( Although she has eaten well and pooped which is a huge relief, she is clearly not 100%. She has to go back on Saturday for a check up and then if all is well she can go another two weeks before another check up.

The wound is huge, the vet said that in 9 out of 10 instances he would have thought it would have been infested with maggots, so we've been very very lucky. He said he isnt sure that the muscle will mend successfully, so it's definitely early days.

My fingers and toes are crossed for you!

Hope she makes a speedy recovery :wave:

Back