• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has your rabbit ever dug out of its run?

steveg

Warren Scout
I'm sitting at my desk at work, worrying! I put Peter in his run as I left the house at 6am, nice fresh grass, some extra hay, and a nice fresh bowl of water. I even scatterted a few pellets for him to forage. He's also got a small hutch to shelter in away from the sun or rain.

I haven't done this before but it was a really lovely sunny morning and didn't want to leave him in his hutch. Now I'm worried he'll dig out before the rest of the femily are awake. Unlikely I know, but possible, yes.

How many escapes have you had?

Alot of people put a wire mesh under the grass so that buns can't get out.

Is he a digger usually?

Not the run but the garden yes. As Kermit said I would get some mesh put under the run if it is staying on grass. It will also help prevent anything digging in

Thanks Kermit. No, he hasn't dug anything in the garden. The only thing I've seen him dig at was one of the carpets in the house.

The run will eventually be attached to his main hutch but i'm just waiting on one or two things before I do that, so normally he's put in his run when one of us is around.

I'll consider wire mesh when the run is in it's final position, but at the moment I move it daily so he gets new grass each day.

My two dwarf lops dug a tunnel each out of their run. They had been in it for about 2 hours! Luckily I was still at home. Since then we have built them a run on a patio! ;)

I have had some diggers who have persistently, even if just in it for a couple of hours, so we had to get smart with them. :lol:

Yes- mine are on concrete now unless they are supervised. I am going to be undermeshing runs shortly though so that i can have them on grass without supervision, as it's time consuming watching them whilst if they were left with mesh and turf i could get on with other things.

I've had buns for 22 years now, no mesh under any runs, and so far, no one has escaped. Have you seen him trying to dig before? Chances are he won't, try not to worry :wave:

Have had total of 7 buns going back almost 11 years. One (female) was a persistent digger and we had to put mesh under run. After she died, we took the mesh off. None of my others have ever dug out under grass. I always thought females were worse diggers than males but I may be wrong

Thanks everyone. good news is he made no attempt to dig out but it did worry me, old fool! :oops:

Then my wife told me he was sitting in a box not eating or pooing - more worry! Last update is he's eating and pooing as normal.

We've had him about eleven days, and I swear, it's like having a newborn baby. I'm beginning to think what i worried about before he was here.

No regrets though, we all love him to bits! :wave:

Back