• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scratched Eye? UD p18 - Check Up Today

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Blair has a scratch on his eye. :(

It doesn't look deep, looks more like a little rough patch on the very surface of the eye, if that makes sense? His pupil seems small in that eye, either that or there's something covering it. It's been watering and he doesn't want to open it very far.

He has an appointment at 2.50pm tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What happened?

I'm worried about my little old man. :cry:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry to read this Helen, you are having a rough time.

I have had a chinchilla with a scratched eye. She was on abx and it healed in about a week.

Vibes for Blair. xxx

Thank you :wave:

That was the first appointment I could get with the rabbit vet. I did have a look around the eye, but it seemed to be hurting him, so I stopped. I didn't think to check if something might be caught under there, I'll go check now...

OK, I've checked and I can't see anything stuck. It looks quite red around the eye though.

I think it must be the hay, it does seem a little scratchier than normal. I got a bit stuck to my finger earlier.

Is this bad? What will the vet do? Will he lose his eye? :cry:

Sorry to read this Helen, you are having a rough time.

I have had a chinchilla with a scratched eye. She was on abx and it healed in about a week.

Vibes for Blair. xxx

Thank you. That sounds like a pretty quick recovery! Fingers crossed Blair will heal up nicely!

Sounds like a corneal ulcer

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00dis/Miscellaneous/CornealUlcerationRabbit.html

Have you checked under his eyelids to see if there is a foreign body stuck, eg a small bit of hay. If there were to be it needs removing as it'll keep doing more damage.

Could you get him to the Vet earlier than tomorrow afternoon ?

It doesn't look at creamy as that pic, more like the top shine that the eye has has been scratched off, if that's possible?

I did try to take a pic earlier, but my camera just isn't good enough for extreme close ups!

Some cameras have a macro setting (flower button) which might help.

Nutmeg has a milky patch on her eye which my vet says was caused by a scratch but this was before I got her so I can't really help. :oops:

I expect the Vet will check the eye using Fluorescein

If a corneal ulcer is detected then the Vet will probably prescribe Fucithalmic, asking you to return for a check-up in 5-7 days.

Some Metacam may be needed initially, corneal ulcers are VERY painful :cry:

Some cameras have a macro setting (flower button) which might help.

Nutmeg has a milky patch on her eye which my vet says was caused by a scratch but this was before I got her so I can't really help. :oops:

I tried the flower button, but they still came out blurry. :( He's not good at standing still, which doesn't help!

I expect the Vet will check the eye using Fluorescein

If a corneal ulcer is detected then the Vet will probably prescribe Fucithalmic, asking you to return for a check-up in 5-7 days.

Some Metacam may be needed initially, corneal ulcers are VERY painful :cry:

Thank you.

That's the dye stuff, right? I've used Fucithalmic before I think, the creamy stuff in the orange tube?

He's on Metacam anyway, so hopefully that should help. The vet reduced his dose to 5 drops once a day instead of twice a day last week, perhaps I should give him a second dose tonight then, I don't want him to be in pain. :cry:

He scoffed his dinner like normal though, that's one good thing!

We're back from the vet.

The vet put some dye in his eye which confirmed the scratch. He has eye drops three times a day and his Metacam has been upped to twice a day.

She thinks he'll make a full recovery with no loss of sight. Back on Tuesday for a check up. :)

Poor little guy did not like being in the car on such a hot day. :( His wife is washing the green goo off his face now. :love:

Pleased it is not serious. Sounds like what Little Nylon had (chinnie), cleared up with no problems. That was a few years ago now. No lasting damage but putting the eye drops in was a nightmare.

Thanks guys. :wave:

Putting the eye drops in isn't too hard, as long as he's distracted by some noms! He does make a little squeak when they go in though, I guess they must sting. :(

Blair had a check up today and his left eye is healing nicely! :D

Problem is, he's only gone and scratched his right eye! :roll: It's not as bad as his left, but now means he's having the drops in both eyes.

Poor Blair! That also means his VHD has to be delayed for another week. :( On the plus side, my vets have just started using Anivac, which is great news! :)

Back