• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost yelled at her!!

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
In the GPs waiting room while talking to heavily pregnant woman...due in 2 weeks.
She said her 3 and a half yr old will get jealous when baby arrives...so MIGHT get him a guinea pig!! While I was silently screaming NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she then said it would be more work for her.
Sounds like heavy work for the Guinea pig if you ask me.:roll::evil:

:roll: some parents are so irresponsible.

did you tell her she would need 2 pigs because they're highly social?

:roll: some parents are so irresponsible.

did you tell her she would need 2 pigs because they're highly social?

Thought about it, but opted to say that the after pains of labour will be worse this time!!! **sniggers**

I dunno, buying a pet for a child doesn't automatically make them a bad owner.

I bought snowball for lucas and he had only just turned 2.
I wouldn't say that snowball has a bad life and he adores my son.

Unless there is anything specific said that points to someone being a bad owner, I try not to judge :)

Oh no. I can't help myself in those situations. She would have had a right lecture from me.

I was in the doctor's waiting room last week and they have a charity 2nd hand book shop. Found a P@H book about rabbits from a couple of years back. It took all my will power not to get my pen out and correct it. May have done if I wasn't in full view of the evil receptionists :lol:.

Unless there is anything specific said that points to someone being a bad owner, I try not to judge :)

That is true, but it sounds like she only wanted a guinea pig because her son was going to be jealous of the new baby. That isn't a good reason to get a pet. Actually I don't think any single reason to get a pet is good. People should have multiple reasons why they want animals.

Im afraid I dont agree that young children should have small pets.
Sorry.:oops:

But you didn't....you bought him for you. :) Lucas doesn't look after him...he just gets to enjoy him and learn about how to care for him (which is what children should do!:wave:

It's like me saying I got Mia for Oli. Yes, he gets to enjoy her, and she'll enrich his life....but she's not his.

that's your opinion
but snowball lives the life of riley

That is because you want Snowball, he was not brought on a whim to give to a child and if your son wanted nothing to do with Snowball you would continue to care for him as your rabbit, sadly there are thousands of animals handed into rescue and the reason given is that the pet did not turn out to be a good pet for a child, or the child was bored with the pet

But you didn't....you bought him for you. :) Lucas doesn't look after him...he just gets to enjoy him and learn about how to care for him (which is what children should do!:wave:

It's like me saying I got Mia for Oli. Yes, he gets to enjoy her, and she'll enrich his life....but she's not his.

I get that, when I bought him though, while I knew it would be me looking after him etc, i did mainly buy him for lucas. (didn't work out that way, little cutie wriggled his way into my heart and he's definitely mine now)

but going by this thread, i shouldn't have snowball at all because I have lucas and lucas was the main reason I bought him. which, it seems, gets me cast as a bad owner before i even started :?

i don't get why it's ok to judge some things without knowing the facts but it isn't ok to judge others

That is because you want Snowball, he was not brought on a whim to give to a child and if your son wanted nothing to do with Snowball you would continue to care for him as your rabbit, sadly there are thousands of animals handed into rescue and the reason given is that the pet did not turn out to be a good pet for a child, or the child was bored with the pet

Oh I totally understand that, I adore snowball and he isn't going anywhere. What I am trying, but failing, to say I think, is that not all parents who buy a pet for their child become bad owners.

Bit embarrassing, but the whole, not bought on a whim thing isn't strictly true either. I wasn't looking for a pet, especially not a rabbit. I saw him in the pet shop and fell in love with him. At the weekend I reserved him, 2 weeks later I took him home. So it wasn't like I planned much. Whilst I researched, he is still technically an impulse buy :)

But you are totally different. The mum wants a pet to stop the child being jeoulous, that sounds so wrong.

You got Snowball for yourself, I know you fell in love with him. :love:

The woman was going to get her little boy a GP.She then realised SHE would have to look after it,whilst looking after a baby and whilst making sure her eldest wasnt throttling the animal which children do.End of.

But you are totally different. The mum wants a pet to stop the child being jeoulous, that sounds so wrong.

You got Snowball for yourself, I know you fell in love with him. :love:

I know it doesn't sound right and I'm not trying to say she is definitely one of the good people, i don't know her.
But how many people can say that every pet they own came home with them for the right reasons? Sometimes a pet bought for the wrong reasons is loved and looked after just as much :)

Lucas doesn't look after him...he just gets to enjoy him and learn about how to care for him (which is what children should do!

This. I think its fine for a parent to buy their child a pet and say its the child's pet BUT the parent needs to understand that the child will not be taking complete care of the pet. Kids definitely should have pets from a young age in my opinion and should learn how to look after them.

Its just the amount of pets bought on a whim and given to kids when the parent has no intention of taking care of them is really irresponsible of the parent. So many suffer because of that or are given to rescues and the kid learns a really bad example...hence why so many parents do this, in many cases the kid probably grows up and does the exact same thing for their kids!

I know it doesn't sound right and I'm not trying to say she is definitely one of the good people, i don't know her.
But how many people can say that every pet they own came home with them for the right reasons? Sometimes a pet bought for the wrong reasons is loved and looked after just as much :)

True, I got my first 2 bunnies for Andrew when he was 10, I knew he would never clean them out.

Back