• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny harness.

I wouldn't advise using them. Rabbits are prey animals and anything that encloses a rabbit's back/shoulders/neck is likely to make them scared. If you think about how rabbits are in the wild, it seems a very alien idea. Plus I think it's more about fulfilling human needs than the needs of the rabbit, which are to be able to hop freely (in a safe area) as nature intended.

Hope that's helpful :wave:

Some hate them some love them and binky in them! :) 2 of my buns are fine in them and will run around happily wearing one. You should NEVER pull a bunny though, just follow them around the garden. :) My other 2 hate them though so never wear them.

I have a shoulder harness which is better than one that goes around the neck. :wave:

I don't think any species appreciates being harnessed but I'm particularly uncomfortable about rabbits in harnesses because their bone structure is so delicate and there is too much risk to safety, the risk of stress/harm outweigh the benefits which as has been said by Tinsel are largely derived by the human not the animal - it's generally for 'our' convenience they would be used, it's better to try and accomodate your rabbit as a 'free' spirit to run free as nature intended.:)

I use a harness only when Ben's going outside the house or being "trained".
As stated some buns like or at leats tolerate them, others hate them or chew them to bits. Ben doesn't mind so much now, and knows the harness means time out in the sun or on an adventure!
Somthing to decide between yourself and rabbit.

I got one for one of my rabbits, Molly, and when I put it on her she was running around really fast in it, so much so that I let go of the lead because I was scared of pulling her, and she hated it, she was trying to get out of it, so I took it off and haven't used it since. I wouldn't recommend them really, I got one because my other rabbit could free range but she couldn't because she wouldn't come back, but I don't really see any point in them. I don't know what they provide that a run doesn't. I think rather than using a harness, a large run is much better, or free ranging :)

I went mad for one of these with my first rabbit many years ago,i was only about 12, i got home put Sandy in it strate away took him in the garden he went under a bush so i waited he hopped out not in the harness, when i looked he had chewed through the harness and run off i had only had it home about 10 mins, i did try to sew it but i dont think he ever went in it again xxx

Only one of my 2 goes in it frequently. Lula only goes in it when she feels like it. :) When they do go in it, i don't pull (!!!!!), I keep an eye on them and make sure they're comfortable in it!

I only use them when jumping in an open space now incase they try running off

I used to use them with all my buns in the garden before I trusted them free range, they acted perfectly fine and weren't biting bars and trying to dig out like they did in their runs

Some rabbits don't mind harnesses, others hate it, make sure it fits well and doesn't smell of other rabbits. You could try distract them with treats or start with just laying it on their back, but if they don't like it they don't like it

Back