• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will petplan cover long term antibiotics for snuffles?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
bit of an easy one I think :D

Will petplans insurance cover ongoing antibiotics if Täplä needs them for her whole life? For snuffles this is, if we try everything and can't get it to go away

Also, any cost estimates for how much antibiotics might be? I haven't been to the vets yet (2.40pm!) but just trying to price up a bit. Obviously I'm not going to withhold abx that she needs, but still. :)

bit of an easy one I think :D

Will petplans insurance cover ongoing antibiotics if Täplä needs them for her whole life? For snuffles this is, if we try everything and can't get it to go away

Also, any cost estimates for how much antibiotics might be? I haven't been to the vets yet (2.40pm!) but just trying to price up a bit. Obviously I'm not going to withhold abx that she needs, but still. :)

I would check as I think it depends which type of policy you have. There may also be an upper amount you can claim. I assume this wasn't a pre existing condition?

They may do - depends if its existing condition or not.

Depends if its in the first 14 days of the cover :roll: (sorry, bad experience :lol:)

You'll need a C&S test to determine which bacterial infection it is to decide which ABx to go for.

Eg, baytril/septrin is quite cheap. Depocillin / Azithromycin is more expensive etc.

I pay £40ish for a bottle of Depocillin to give injections at home. (thats only rough)

They may do - depends if its existing condition or not.

Depends if its in the first 14 days of the cover :roll: (sorry, bad experience :lol:)

You'll need a C&S test to determine which bacterial infection it is to decide which ABx to go for.

Eg, baytril/septrin is quite cheap. Depocillin / Azithromycin is more expensive etc.

I pay £40ish for a bottle of Depocillin to give injections at home. (thats only rough)

It hasn't been diagnosed but she has symptoms. I haven't taken out insurance yet. I'm wondering if I do it now and ask the vet to hold off making an 'official' diagnosis for a few weeks, whether that might work somehow :roll: Probably not, I'm guessing :(

Gonna ask for a C&S test today at the vets (I'm sure he'll suggest it anyway without me having to ask :))

Argh I wish I'd taken it out a few months ago when I thought about it. I just thought I'll wait until I was moved back home (3 days ago) to do it, 'what can go wrong in a few months' :roll:

It hasn't been diagnosed but she has symptoms. I haven't taken out insurance yet. I'm wondering if I do it now and ask the vet to hold off making an 'official' diagnosis for a few weeks, whether that might work somehow :roll: Probably not, I'm guessing :(

Gonna ask for a C&S test today at the vets (I'm sure he'll suggest it anyway without me having to ask :))

Argh I wish I'd taken it out a few months ago when I thought about it. I just thought I'll wait until I was moved back home (3 days ago) to do it, 'what can go wrong in a few months' :roll:

Thats rather fraudulent. Please dont do that. Its things like that which push the premiums up for others.

The C&S will take a few days to come back then they can know which strain they are fighting and fight it with the relevant ABx.

as for your 'what can go wrong in a few months' part - has cost me over £500 :lol:

Dangerous game to play! I think symptoms would count as it already having started, so if the vet has documented that there is something wrong, you're screwed!

If you haven't got the insurance yet, nope.
Buckley has "upper respiratory problems" excluded from his cover entirely because he's had snuffles before the illness insurance kicked in.

Also if you try and get it covered by getting your vet to, effectively, lie about when it started then petplan can take you to court for defrauding them. It's far too risky in my opinion to fudge the dates.

Best to be honest and deal with the costs really.

Last edited:
Petplan always covered Humphrey for his long term antibiotics. I always insure my guys the day I get them as in answer to the question 'what could happen'-the answer is lots of things. It you're going to insure why wait? There's lots of things not covered but equally there's plenty of things that are. I've always found it worth my while-the beautiful Sophie hurt her eye and she had to have emergency surgery and a visit to an opthamologist 9over £100 to walk through his door). In all her treatment was around £600+. X-rays, bloods, tests etc they add up.

You may have missed this 'boat' but although I'd hope this is it it may not be so I'd always recommend insuring.

Thats rather fraudulent. Please dont do that. Its things like that which push the premiums up for others.

The C&S will take a few days to come back then they can know which strain they are fighting and fight it with the relevant ABx.

as for your 'what can go wrong in a few months' part - has cost me over £500 :lol:

Yeah, I should have worded that post better :lol: I wasn't planning to try and mess with the dates, but it would be good if I could ahve gotten it included :( Oh well, it's my own fault for putting off insurance!

Dangerous game to play! I think symptoms would count as it already having started, so if the vet has documented that there is something wrong, you're screwed!

Yeah definitely :(

If you haven't got the insurance yet, nope.
Buckley has "upper respiratory problems" excluded from his cover entirely because he's had snuffles before the illness insurance kicked in.

Also if you try and get it covered by getting your vet to, effectively, lie about when it started then petplan can take you to court for defrauding them. It's far too risky in my opinion to fudge the dates.

Best to be honest and deal with the costs really.

Oh that's interesting to know they can get insured with the exclusion of upper respiratory, I'll have to give them a call and mention it :) indeed it's risky, and not worth the stress. I'll just have to pay whatever costs arise from it :( The other thing is it's not fair on the vet (even if he was to agree, which I doubt!) as I wouldn't want his reputation to be compromised!

Petplan always covered Humphrey for his long term antibiotics. I always insure my guys the day I get them as in answer to the question 'what could happen'-the answer is lots of things. It you're going to insure why wait? There's lots of things not covered but equally there's plenty of things that are. I've always found it worth my while-the beautiful Sophie hurt her eye and she had to have emergency surgery and a visit to an opthamologist 9over £100 to walk through his door). In all her treatment was around £600+. X-rays, bloods, tests etc they add up.

You may have missed this 'boat' but although I'd hope this is it it may not be so I'd always recommend insuring.

Ouch, expensive costs :( Yeah, I really wish I'd had it done sooner. Unfortunately money has been extremely tight and I've been able to afford absolutely everything else for them except the insurance - I've been without tv, mobile phone, using wifi internet, not eating etc, but just couldn't stretch to insurance :( Oh well, nothing I can do about it now I'll just have to get Nena insured (who has no symptoms) and take it as a learning curve :)

Poops! Trying to get a quote if I put in todays date with the info 'Occasional sneezing, C&S test taken' under medical notes for Tapla, but it won't let me see a quote without putting in debit card details :roll: Charming!

Guess I'll have to ring them! I hate phone calls :oops: I'd much rather do it all online :oops:

EDIT: That's just an estimation of what the vet will do btw, my appointment is in an hour :)

Poops! Trying to get a quote if I put in todays date with the info 'Occasional sneezing, C&S test taken' under medical notes for Tapla, but it won't let me see a quote without putting in debit card details :roll: Charming!

Guess I'll have to ring them! I hate phone calls :oops: I'd much rather do it all online :oops:

EDIT: That's just an estimation of what the vet will do btw, my appointment is in an hour :)

If you call them you may get 10% off, i certainly did.

Waste of blooming time that was though :lol:

I sympathise re: cost but I've just insured Rupert and it's about £9 a month with a £60 excess I think.
My main worry is my vet still makes me pay them and then I claim from Petplan yet I insure as I'm on a low income and trying to avoid large bills I can't afford.
There's still lots of other things so still insure both buns. They don't do teeth though but think of flystrike/broken limbs/abcesses/other injuries/EC etc. The list is endless for our poor bunnies.
Hope your guy's OK. Thankfully antibiotics aren't the most expensive thing and it's done now anyway-we live and learn...
My insuring on day 1 went awry anyway with my latest as he arrived sneezing and I'm not covered for illness until 2 weeks in! Typical!

If you call them you may get 10% off, i certainly did.

Waste of blooming time that was though :lol:

Oo thanks for the tip, I'll try giving them a ring then :D I'll get over my dislike of phone calls for a chance at a discount :lol:

I have a nice telephone manner so hopefiully that'll count, fingers crossed for a guy I can flirt with for discountszz :oops::lol:

I sympathise re: cost but I've just insured Rupert and it's about £9 a month with a £60 excess I think.
My main worry is my vet still makes me pay them and then I claim from Petplan yet I insure as I'm on a low income and trying to avoid large bills I can't afford.
There's still lots of other things so still insure both buns. They don't do teeth though but think of flystrike/broken limbs/abcesses/other injuries/EC etc. The list is endless for our poor bunnies.
Hope your guy's OK. Thankfully antibiotics aren't the most expensive thing and it's done now anyway-we live and learn...
My insuring on day 1 went awry anyway with my latest as he arrived sneezing and I'm not covered for illness until 2 weeks in! Typical!

Oh how frustrating! That must have been awful :( I'm just wondering what would be excluded if I mention about the suspected snuffles and they exclude 'upper respiratory'. I assume that means anything then, including abcess removal and all that? Poop!

Do petplan not insure teeth? Hm that's a concern! My buns teeth are fine now (from what I can see of the front, and from how quick they wolf anything down), but they were originally from P@H so bad breeding concerning teeth is a concern :(

Oh bunnies, why are you such little money guzzlers :lol:?

Oh how frustrating! That must have been awful :( I'm just wondering what would be excluded if I mention about the suspected snuffles and they exclude 'upper respiratory'. I assume that means anything then, including abcess removal and all that? Poop!

Do petplan not insure teeth? Hm that's a concern! My buns teeth are fine now (from what I can see of the front, and from how quick they wolf anything down), but they were originally from P@H so bad breeding concerning teeth is a concern :(

Oh bunnies, why are you such little money guzzlers :lol:?

They will do dentals but depending on policy possibly only one when found due to related illness. They don't cover routine dentals/ burring etc I believe.

They will do dentals but depending on policy possibly only one when found due to related illness. They don't cover routine dentals/ burring etc I believe.

Ah fab :D Thanks for the info! I'll have a proper read through before I sign up though, but it's much easier to ask than trawl through :D

It's difficult - I can see why they don't cover routine dentals or burring since it's a often diet thing, but then some buns are predisposed to dental problems, or can't eat a 'correct' diet for other reasons :(

Oh the confusing world of insurance :lol:

Ermmm, okay well:

Went to the vets, apparently Täplä has absolutely no mucous or gunge up her nose at all. He had SUCH a long look and I was staring up there too and nothing. Nothing on her paws, nothing in her eyes, nothing in her ears. He's given me a swab to take a sample if I see any mucous up there at all at any point, but he's said it was most likely allergies.

I'm so confused. She's been in 4 different homes with me (1st in my bedroom, 2nd in my bedroom, 3rd in the kitchen and now finally in a shed/run setup) and she's displayed symptoms in the 2nd and 3rd place. Although come to think of it she wasn't sneezing much in the last few weeks at my old place (place 3). Maybe it's something in the air in Birmingham that she was sensitive to? I'm so confused. :s

But yeah clears up the insurance problem at least... gonna do it tonight before anything else on them breaks :shock:

They both had their myxo today :) Unhappy buns now.

Back