• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding NOW! Vibes please!!

SkegMag

Warren Scout
:wave: Everything ready to start bonding Zuki & Merlin, two neutered bucks.
Plan: side-by-side since Sunday (very calm) - not fed them this morning - put them in cardboard box and ride them on washing machine - whisk them straight into neutral puppy pen with large litter box, scattered food and jingle-balls - arm ourselves with oven gloves, brush, a loud bell and water pistol for distraction - two carriers incase we have to rush them to vets. PRAY!
Staying tuned in to you experts on the forum incase we have probs, as it's the first time we've attempted bonding.
(positive vibes an a miracle needed :lol:_

Thank you - they began frantically squirming and tumbling as soon as we put them in the box before we put them on washer - they panicked, I think! WE paniked and returned them to cages. No biting etc both now calm. Quick rest then putting them straight in pen.

Thank you - they began frantically squirming and tumbling as soon as we put them in the box before we put them on washer - they panicked, I think! WE paniked and returned them to cages. No biting etc both now calm. Quick rest then putting them straight in pen.

I'm not a fan of causing fear and stress to rabbits prior to bonding, quite the opposite, I would have given them the opportunity run around and let off steam and infact be quite tired, good luck it's not something I'd try actually, I prefer male and female bonding. I think males can work if they are siblings and kept together through neutering etc I'm not sure why you did the cardboard box thing actually they must have been terrified, I'm only mentioning it because I'd hate people to think that was either necessary or good practice. Best of luck. Try to remain calm and relaxed, if they do start to fight gently separate them and hold them apart for a count of 10 and distract by feeding wet herbs etc - the bell won't work if they are fighting it will just create noise. Lots of reassurance and possibly sitting in with them might actually be calmer initially.

Last edited:
Thank you, Vicky. Bad start, wasn't it? Thankfully, they calmed immediately afterwards. Now preparing for putting them in pen - will try to keep them as calm as poss.

Thank you, Vicky. Bad start, wasn't it? Thankfully, they calmed immediately afterwards. Now preparing for putting them in pen - will try to keep them as calm as poss.

I think so, poor little things, I'm anti fear bonding techniques because sooner or later they will have to get along in normal scenario's and they are either suitable pairing or not, I think it mainly does depend on personalities involved with same sex pairings so it's not out of the question it will work. Remember to be gentle and understanding, if they are getting on well, reward with some yummy bits and stroke gently etc but not too much interference, I'd also avoid standing staring at them, try to appear normal as if there is nothing to worry about and they will sense that feeling hopefully. As I said I'd personally sit in for the first 10 minutes and gently hold apart if they instantly start to fight, if one locks on biting it might be better to use the water spray, you could end up pulling one and they inevitably hold on tighter and pull the other rabbit. Hope it works out. Remember, gentle techniques can work just aswell, you don't need 'fear' to make it work, in fact its more likely to cause problems IMO. :)

Back