• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much pellets to feed my bunny?

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
evening all,

JaJa is i think around 10 weeks now so any suggestions how much pellets he should be eating in the day?

At the mo, im pretty much feeding him a very small handfull 3 times a day which i think is prob too much but ive seen info on here that says to feed him as much as he needs (unlimited) but also info that says lots of hay and only a small amount of pellets. He always gets unlimited amounts of hay but feel that hes not eating alot due to eating so much pellets

So im a wee bit unsure.

He does a lot of runing around so im pretty sure he burns off alot of the pellets he gets.

Weigh your bunny so you have a starting point.

You need to feed according to your individual bun.

If your bun is overweight- reduce pellets done gradually. Feed also with veggies such as spring greens, cucumber, herbs daily. ( Introduce veg if you don't feed it now, very gradually).

If your bun is underweight- you need vets advice. I wouldn't recommend reducing an underweight or ill buns pellet feed, especially any bun struggling with any kind of dental issues.

If you bun is otherwise healthy then it should be okay to do this yourself, as long as you monitor weight change and make sure there is nothing to drastic.

If your bun looks like he is losing weight to quickly, just up the pellets abit again.

Always feed unlimited hay and fresh water.

I got my buns at around 11 weeks and they have always had an eggcupful of pellets each per day - they eat loads of hay and always have. I know some people advocate more pellets for younsters but I think it is very important to develop excellent hay eating from a young age. As a guide they should eat a mound of hay roughly equivelant to their size each day. As well as putting on too much weight, eating too many pellets and therefore not sufficient hay will mean that teeth are not kept in check.

Weigh your bunny so you have a starting point.

You need to feed according to your individual bun.

If your bun is overweight- reduce pellets done gradually. Feed also with veggies such as spring greens, cucumber, herbs daily. ( Introduce veg if you don't feed it now, very gradually).

If your bun is underweight- you need vets advice. I wouldn't recommend reducing an underweight or ill buns pellet feed, especially any bun struggling with any kind of dental issues.

If you bun is otherwise healthy then it should be okay to do this yourself, as long as you monitor weight change and make sure there is nothing to drastic.

If your bun looks like he is losing weight to quickly, just up the pellets abit again.

Always feed unlimited hay and fresh water.

Thanks for that good advice. Im not quite sure what weight my bun should be at this age, is there an online rabbit weight chart that you know of? and would using bathroom scales work ok?

I got my buns at around 11 weeks and they have always had an eggcupful of pellets each per day - they eat loads of hay and always have. I know some people advocate more pellets for younsters but I think it is very important to develop excellent hay eating from a young age. As a guide they should eat a mound of hay roughly equivelant to their size each day. As well as putting on too much weight, eating too many pellets and therefore not sufficient hay will mean that teeth are not kept in check.

yeah i would be alot happier reducing the amount of pellets that JaJa is eating atm and just stick to the same egg cup rule i used with Milly.

Thanks for that good advice. Im not quite sure what weight my bun should be at this age, is there an online rabbit weight chart that you know of? and would using bathroom scales work ok?

From your photo Jaja looks a nice weight. I would keep that as a starting point. You don't want to be feeling any bones. A bunny needs some weight on it, but not too much. If you are unsure- ask your vets what they think your buns ideal weight should be. They should be able to work it out for you.

I use parcel scales or you can get pound store scales- put your bun in a carrier and hang the carrier from the scales- luggage scales i think they are called.

From your photo Jaja looks a nice weight. I would keep that as a starting point. You don't want to be feeling any bones. A bunny needs some weight on it, but not too much. If you are unsure- ask your vets what they think your buns ideal weight should be. They should be able to work it out for you.

I use parcel scales or you can get pound store scales- put your bun in a carrier and hang the carrier from the scales- luggage scales i think they are called.

ok well i think i will keep on how i am going atm then and in a few weeks i will start to reduce his pellets very gradually. Hes got his first myxie jab in just over a week so i will get him weighed then and ask the vet what she thinks :)

Back