• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smoo got to my olive tree UD - she seems fine!

I had a look on the internet and can't find too much apart from on wikipedia about how "pests" aka rabbits, strip the bark off olive trees.

Don't know how much use that is really. :(

Looking on the net and have come across an article about rabbits and hares destroying olive trees in Oz by chewing the bark. As well as kangaroos. Nothing about it being toxic, only trying to stop them doing it.

I'm just keeping an eye on her. She's been terrible this week for eating things she shouldn't. :(

Bloody BARC buns. :)

I'm hoping my tree came off worse than her.

It was a 21st birthday present from my mother in law so it's almost five years old. That bunny! I do hope it survives but it's much more important that it doesn't make her ill. Thanks for all the research everyone did! I'm hoping if bunnies like to eat it in the wild it's okay.

Here's the damage.

DSC01386.jpg

Smoo is so naughty.

I popped to the shops today for about 15 or 20 minutes, left them to free range and forgot to shut the living room door. Looks like they never bothered to come in. :oops:

That's some extensive destruction skills. :shock: I don't know much about trees but I will keep my fingers crossed it makes a full recovery. And send some vibes. :lol:

A year and a half and she's never bothered with it and then all of a sudden it's tasty. :shock:
My amature bunny proofing never stood a chance. It's now well out of her reach but I'm not sure what to do with it. If I put it in the front it will be vandalised or stolen and I don't know how to protect it in the back now. Maybe something like they do to stop wild bunnies, those mesh things that protect the trunk. :?

A year and a half and she's never bothered with it and then all of a sudden it's tasty. :shock:
My amature bunny proofing never stood a chance. It's now well out of her reach but I'm not sure what to do with it. If I put it in the front it will be vandalised or stolen and I don't know how to protect it in the back now. Maybe something like they do to stop wild bunnies, those mesh things that protect the trunk. :?

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. They're called tree guards or protectors. You could also get a thick piece of plastic tubing and slit it lengthways which would be narrower, but also much more tricky to put on.

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. They're called tree guards or protectors. You could also get a thick piece of plastic tubing and slit it lengthways which would be narrower, but also much more tricky to put on.

Oooh, had a look online. :)
I have no idea what size I need so I'll pop off to a garden centre when I can. I wish I could just bring it inside but it's got its own little ecosystem with caterpillars who chrysalis in the leaves and spiders. I brought it in for the winter once and found loads of little black bits all over the floor. I suddenly realised it was caterpillar poo! :lol: :shock: It's stayed outside ever since.

Oooh, had a look online. :)
I have no idea what size I need so I'll pop off to a garden centre when I can. I wish I could just bring it inside but it's got its own little ecosystem with caterpillars who chrysalis in the leaves and spiders. I brought it in for the winter once and found loads of little black bits all over the floor. I suddenly realised it was caterpillar poo! :lol: :shock: It's stayed outside ever since.

Ewwwwwww! :mrgreen: Could you re-pot it into fresh soil or would that kill it off? Once again I show my ignorance of trees.

Ewwwwwww! :mrgreen: Could you re-pot it into fresh soil or would that kill it off? Once again I show my ignorance of trees.

I could but they all live in the branches anyway so it probably wouldn't do much. It could do with being re-potted in a bigger pot but I was worried if we moved I wouldn't be able to take it with me. I'm waiting to get my own house and then I want to plant it in the garden.

The good news is Smoo seems fine. She's just eaten some curly kale and rushed in to wolf down Grim's leftovers. I told her she was naughty for eating my tree but she just blatantly ignored me. :roll: And it's not the first of my trees she's eaten. She ate the entirety of my bonsai apple tree which I had grown myself from seed. Not an easy task! Oh wait, she left me one leaf as a memento... :roll: :lol:

But how can you be mad at this face?

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

:love:

Well she's fine! :D
She practically inhaled her breakfast (spring greens) which is normal and then helped Grim with his too. There are some very squishy cecals in the hutch but that could just as easily be Grim so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Thanks for the vibes again everyone. :wave:

Back