• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you get charged for an out of hours rabbit consultation?

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Got charged £92 just for a 5 minute consultation yesterday as it was a bank holiday. The vet wasn't called out specially, he was already there doing surgery, and if it's £92 for a rabbit consultation (4x the normal price) I wonder how much it would be for a dog or cat???:shock:

It's a standard consultation price for all animals after hours. I think Vets Now charge £95 or £100.

Even if it was a hamster you took in, it would still be the same cost.

Vets Now here charge in the region of £120 to be seen out of hours :shock:

Our regular vets has recently started doing out of hours clinic and I think their OOH fees start at £60.

We paid £161.00 for Babydarling, where told it was £120.00 for the emergency.

No one was there and we still had to wait about 20 minutes.

Wow - it's really gone up since we last had to use them!

Well, Butters has insurance, and we're on the final month of the first year, and the exclusion he has is for gut problems (due to stasis after his neuter 18 months ago) ................:roll:

The only out of hours appointments I've had have been for PTS :(
The only one I can remember the cost of is having my cat PTS on a Sunday which was £80, but this was about 10 years ago.

Mind you Blackers, £92.00 for 5 minutes is bad. The vet spent ages with Babydarling. Didn't time it but it felt like about half an hour.

It cost £108 for Teddy to be seen on New Years Day. We were with the vet a fair while though, at least 20 mins.

We were quoted £65 for our hamster to see the vet on Easter Sunday (but the vet didn't end up charging us, only the fee to PTS :() - as somebody else said, I think emergency consults are a standard charge no matter what animal.

Mine was around £100 mark for about 15minutes. Hard to tell because Leo was admitted so the price shot right up with all the additional extras* :roll:

I'm in the wrong job ... £400/hour sounds pretty schweeeeeeet.

*ETA: Just realised that made it sound like he was going on a package holiday, I can assure you that wasn't the case :lol:

I paid £100 extra and the vet was still at the surgery as it was only 30 mins after they close. I did query it and was told it is the same price whatever time of night - or early morning - it is.

I work nights at a crisis centre and we get paid more after 8.00 pm and before 6.00 am. We don't get any enhancements up to 8.00 pm and after 6.00 am.

What annoys me about this is that I can understand if it's a vet on call who comes to your house or meets you at the surgery in the middle of the night and they aren't supposed to be 'on duty' other than a call out (so it's disturbing their personal time) but the thing is, for most vet surgeries and hospitals the vet is being paid a flat rate for hospital/out of hours shifts on a rota system. It's usually only branch salaries that are flat rate plus an 'on commission' rate.

So the vet is being paid a flat rate whether seeing anyone or not, but owners get charged 4 times the consult.

This ESPECIALLY pee's me off when it's a hospital that you go to, where there is usually a night vet on duty every night irrelevant of how many consults/inpatients there are.

It's not just vet surgeries either! Lot's of trades are as bad or worse!

Rant over. :oops:

Last edited:
What annoys me about this is that I can understand if it's a vet on call who comes to your house or meets you at the surgery in the middle of the night and they aren't supposed to be 'on duty' other than a call out (so it's disturbing their personal time) but the thing is, for most vet surgeries and hospitals the vet is being paid a flat rate for hospital/out of hours shifts on a rota system. It's usually only branch salaries that are flat rate plus an 'on commission' rate.

So the vet is being paid a flat rate whether seeing anyone or not, but owners get charged 4 times the consult.

This ESPECIALLY pee's me off when it's a hospital that you go to, where there is usually a night vet on duty every night irrelevant of how many consults/inpatients there are.

Rant over. :oops:

I hear'ya gurlfriend!

It's a standard consultation price for all animals after hours. I think Vets Now charge £95 or £100.

Even if it was a hamster you took in, it would still be the same cost.

Yeah I think it is the same way with my vets. $99 for any animal out of hours. $50 normally.

Back