• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie's Accident <3 :'( *could be distressing* *pic heavy*

BexPets

Warren Scout
I don't have a favourite rabbit, but if I did I would have picked Rosie every time.
Today I came out in the morning to see her and her best friend Dino hopping round the garden. A quick check of her run and I saw that they'd been working on a burrow and had just managed to squeeze out as it slightly overlapped the border of the run :roll: The garden is secure, and I had to leave the house quickly this morning, so I opened their hutch door and pretended it was their weekly exercise.

SAM_3752.jpg

For reasons known only to herself, Rosie targetted the indoor cage that supported part of Tigerlily and Rolo's run. It has been there for at least a year, and no rabbit has ever questioned it's existence before. Rosie felt the need to push her head through the bars.
The bars, might I add, are 1 inch wide.
Rose is not 1 inch wide, and after discovering this, a long struggle prevailed.

SAM_3527.jpg

At half past 1, mum went out to get the washing in, and found Rosie.
I'm not sure how much detail I should include, but I'll leave it at the fact that her face was covered in blood and flies.
In a panic, my mum managed to ease her free from the indoor cage, and then had to catch her as she went on a frigthened run around the garden. She got her into a carrying case and phoned the vets as she was getting in the car, saying that she was bringing a rabbit in who would probably have to be put down.
The waiting room was empty and she was brought straight in. The vet explained that she could opt to put her to sleep immediately, but they might be able to do something if they sedated her and had a closer look, as the wounds were covered by fur.
Four hours later, we brought Rosie home and she is sitting in an indoor cage in the living room, dozing next to the food she hasn't eaten yet.

SAM_3837.jpg

I don't think detail is appropriate, but I'm so upset about my poor bunny. Her face is very messy.

This is her and her brother in the snow:
SAM_3740.jpg

This is where she got her head caught (the board wasn't there before):
SAM_4891.jpg

She is a beautiful rabbit :) She always will be beautiful to me. I can't bear to look at her at the moment, but I can't disown her and I am dreading giving her this medicine and eye drops. She's rubbed away so much of the skin around her eyes that she might have permanently damaged her eyelids and may have to be put down in the next few days. She may not even survive the night, and I don't know what I'd do then. Seeing her like this is awful.

I love you Rosie xx This post is for you. I just wanted to share, while she's still alive :) I need a bit of strength right now.

SAM_3527.jpg

SAM_3467.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my goodness I am so sorry, I can imagine how heartbreaking this is for you!! I send lots of healing vibes that she can find the strength to pull through this, and sending you lots of hugs too xx

OMG how utterly terrifying that must have been for all of you. Thank heavens your mom was able to get her to the vet. I really hope she does make it. Sending lots of healing recovery vibes and strength for you xxxxx

Oh gosh, sending lots of vibes for Rosie x

If it's any consolation, skin wounds can sometimes appear worse than they actually are if there's lots of blood.

Sending Rosie loads of healing wishes! I hope she makes a good recovery.

How awful for you all.

:cry:

This is similar to what happened with Frankie a few weeks back, he wasn't able to damage himself but passed away frightened and stuck between the kennel wall and a storage box, over night.

Thank goodness your mum found her. She has been lucky to survive, what a strong character she is! Take strength from that, and help her back to full health.

NB: Others please learn from our conplacency, rabbits are curious and something that has been of no interested perviously can become a new game or investigation. All my runs have been wire welded meshed for this, as the gaps were too big for my liking, but I never thought my accident would happen.

Thanks everyone :)

She's not eating anything, but she's drinking plenty. She keeps lying down and trying to sleep, but she can't fully close her eyes :( I can't bring myself to touch her. The wounds look very bad and so do her eyes and eyelids.
I've just had to clean the blood and wipe the flies off the bars of that cage :( not fun!

poor bunny .. i hope she makes a full recovery .

accidents are upsetting and we look back and think how easily we could have avoided them .. but accidents do happen .
the main thing is she got help and treatment when she needed it . hopefully it was soon enough .

xx

I hope so.

She's eaten 2 leaves of cabbage and 4 dandelions!!! and had something to drink!! i'm so pleased :) :) :)

she will need 4 eyedrops a day and a small fortune in antibiotics and painkillers :/ not particularly looking forward to it, but it has to be done..

Thinking of you and rosie - the eating is such a good sign.

Has she lots of metacam etc for the inflamation and pain that will follow???

I'm not sure if she's had Metacam but she's got Loxicom and Vaytril, and eyedrops.

So pleased she's eating! Thanks everyone :D

dont forget that sometimes the vet nurses can be really helpful with this sort of thing - when I have had rabbits that need intensive cleaning and treating for wounds etc then I have tended to do it myself one day and then take in to the nurses the next, so that the bun gets a day off from travel every other day but still gets the best clean and treat possible at least every other day as well.

Often if its a tricky case the vet will come and help the nurses but you still only pay for a nurses appt!:D

Really? I'll inquire.
I don't know if I want to put Rosie in a car again, as I'm trying to minimize all stress and being inside with a room full of gerbils and hamsters is not exactly going to ensure a good night's sleep.
I might remove all their wheels for the night..

oh, poor Rosie. I hope she makes it. I kow it must be really upsetting for you, try and stay strong and get her meds done. *hugs*

Back