PDA

View Full Version : Maisie had her teeth looked at without needing to be under GA!

mattyp
31-05-2011, 02:09 PM
She just sat there like an absolute angel and let the vet use the scope to look inside! She didn't even bat an eyelid, just sat there giving the scope thing the occasional nibble!

Apparently she had perfect teeth, and given she is now over 3 years of age the vet was very impressed! :D Marvin wasn't so well behaved though :oops:

Anyone else have a very well behaved bunny? :D

GrahamL
31-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, Ginger.

She licks the ottoscope.

Even using the ottoscope, they can't see all of the teef without knocking them out :)

Glad she's oka thouh

steph182
31-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Charlie let the vet have a look at his when he was awake too :)
His aren't quite so perfect but they're not a problem to him yet and shouldn't be for at least months yet

biscandmatt1
31-05-2011, 02:13 PM
luckily i have two well behaved bunnies, although bisc does thump at the vet when he goes back in the carrier :lol:

it always looks like they could choke when they check their teeth with that thing... especially when they start chewing it.

matt had his checked this week and wouldn't move his tongue out the way! :lol:

sacol4940
31-05-2011, 02:14 PM
All 4 of mine try and eat the otto thingy whilst its in their mouths :roll:

Pie
31-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Pie doesn't like her teeth being checked but for injections/drip etc she sits there like nothing is going on :love:
Oberon will sit through anything but his nails being cut.

mattyp
31-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, Ginger.

She licks the ottoscope.

Even using the ottoscope, they can't see all of the teef without knocking them out :)

Glad she's oka thouh

Oh really? How many teef do rabbits have back there? I swear the scope was like a hole inch back :lol:

Barn Yard Bunnies
31-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Is that that thing about an inch long ? Cutie-pie had it done on Saturday, although she was nervous and a bit wiggly she was fine.

When Sunshine had it done 2 months ago, he kept putting his tongue over his back teeth. He is a devil.:lol:

GrahamL
31-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh really? How many teef do rabbits have back there? I swear the scope was like a hole inch back :lol:

28 :wave:

Rabbits have four incisors, two on the top, and two on the bottom. Right behind the top incisor teeth are two small peg-like teeth called auxiliary incisors or "peg teeth". In addition, rabbits have cheek teeth that they use to grind their food. These are the 6 upper premolars, the 4 lower premolars, 6 upper molars and 6 lower molars.

Barn Yard Bunnies
31-05-2011, 03:09 PM
28 :wave:

Rabbits have four incisors, two on the top, and two on the bottom. Right behind the top incisor teeth are two small peg-like teeth called auxiliary incisors or "peg teeth". In addition, rabbits have cheek teeth that they use to grind their food. These are the 6 upper premolars, the 4 lower premolars, 6 upper molars and 6 lower molars.

:shock: I learn something new on here all the time. :wave:

whitehood
31-05-2011, 03:43 PM
My vet checked lucky and jacks teeth when they were awakw but not with an tool??

GrahamL
31-05-2011, 03:43 PM
My vet checked lucky and jacks teeth when they were awakw but not with an tool??

Then they weren't thoroughly checked :wave:

whitehood
31-05-2011, 03:46 PM
She said they were fine though
Do they only thoroughly check if the teeth don't look so well?
My vet used her fingers and looked right in

B3rnie69
31-05-2011, 03:49 PM
My lot are very well behaved to have theirs looked at (I have a scope at home so to prepare them I put nommy things on the end so they started to associate it with nice things :))

She said they were fine though
Do they only thoroughly check if the teeth don't look so well?
My vet used her fingers and looked right in

You vet wouldn't have been able to see anything that way I'm afraid :?

mattyp
31-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm guessing if there isn't reason to suspect that their back teeth are bad they don't look?

GrahamL
31-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing if there isn't reason to suspect that their back teeth are bad they don't look?

It should be done as part of any healthcheck :wave:

not a GA check though, that'd only be if suspected dental issues.

B3rnie69
31-05-2011, 03:54 PM
It should be done as part of any healthcheck :wave:

not a GA check though, that'd only be if suspected dental issues.

This, mine get checked every time we go for vaccs :)

Elena
31-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I think they can see the inside edge of the teeth with the otoscope but not the outside edge? Which might be why a (brave!) vet might check with fingers I guess.