• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Larger Metacam bottles

weedug

Mama Doe
How do you get the dose from them? I've got a 100ml bottle just now, and can't get a syringe into it to measure the dose without taking the dropper part off (if you follow). Is this the only way?

Was a bit concerned about the medicine being in contact with the light when I take the top off. Didn't want the medicine to lose its strength.

I'm used to the smaller 32ml bottles, where I can just stick the syringe into the dropper top.

Sorry for the dumb question :oops:

I have had the same problem, i poured it out into an egg cup then syringed it up, there was some waste but i couldn't work out another way

Have you a small spare brown medicine bottle like the type tablets come in, if so make sure it's clean and trasfer the Metacam from the big bottle to the spare medicine bottle and that way you will find it a lot easier :)

Have you a small spare brown medicine bottle like the type tablets come in, if so make sure it's clean and trasfer the Metacam from the big bottle to the spare medicine bottle and that way you will find it a lot easier :)

Duh, of course :oops:. Gosh I'm slow, didn't think of putting it in another bottle so I'm not opening the big one all the time :lol:.

Does the medicine keep it's strength this way? I've read it doesn't work so well when it's been in the light. A big bottle is much cheaper for me as I'm using a lot just now.

Duh, of course :oops:. Gosh I'm slow, didn't think of putting it in another bottle so I'm not opening the big one all the time :lol:.

Does the medicine keep it's strength this way? I've read it doesn't work so well when it's been in the light. A big bottle is much cheaper for me as I'm using a lot just now.

Yes just keep in a cupboard and out of the light and it should be ok, try putting it in a brown medicine bottle, we have 180ml bottles with having so many bunnies :)

I've got a 100 ml bottle and just attach the end of the metacam syringe to the nozzle on top of the bottle and pull the plunger and the metacam fills the syringe.

100 ml is the largest my vet sells. I may see if I can find it cheaper on-line and get him to write me a prescription. I think I paid £60 for the 100 ml bottle.

I've got a 100 ml bottle and just attach the end of the metacam syringe to the nozzle on top of the bottle and pull the plunger and the metacam fills the syringe.

100 ml is the largest my vet sells. I may see if I can find it cheaper on-line and get him to write me a prescription. I think I paid £60 for the 100 ml bottle.

My syringe won't fit on the nozzle. The whole on the nozzle is tiny.

You can buy dog metacam from vetuk for just over £12 for a 100ml bottle :wave:. I'm getting my vet to give me a prescription to get it here. He charges £30 for a bottle this size.

The syringe comes with the bottle of metacam in the box, if you want one let me know and I'll post you one

The syringe comes with the bottle of metacam in the box, if you want one let me know and I'll post you one

Thanks for the offer :wave:. I got a syringe in the box, but there was no way it would fit on the nozzle :?, although it looked like it should. I need to pull the dropper part off and put the syringe in the bottle, but I was worried about the light affecting the medicine, since it's used 3 times a day.

On the smaller bottles the syringes just fit in the whole at the top no bother.

Am I seriously missing something here :oops: :lol:

I use the syringe that came in the box too - it is designed to fit the nozzle. Maybe you had an incorrect syringe in your box?

The metacam I use is the dog one. I will definitely have a look at Vet UK. Will ask my vet what he charges to write prescriptions. Dylan is on metacam for life and even that big bottle doesn't seem to be lasting as long as I had hoped. £60 is an awful lot of money:(

I use the syringe that came in the box too - it is designed to fit the nozzle. Maybe you had an incorrect syringe in your box?

The metacam I use is the dog one. I will definitely have a look at Vet UK. Will ask my vet what he charges to write prescriptions. Dylan is on metacam for life and even that big bottle doesn't seem to be lasting as long as I had hoped. £60 is an awful lot of money:(

I hope it was the wrong syringe, or I'm slower than I thought :lol:

Hope you can get a prescription ok. Vetuk does a 180ml bottle too. £60 is a bit steep!!

I actually remove the top, but do it in a darkened room/corner as advised by my vet and use a 1ml syringe to measure out the 0.6ml i need for each bun.

For Buns on longterm Metacam:

1-Ask Vet to do a prescription, preferably one for 6 months.

2- Buy online- 100ml costs £23.99 from here

http://www.vetmedsplus.co.uk/products/Metacam-Oral-Suspension-180ml.html

For dosing USING THE DOG METACAM as in above link:

1-Obtain a 1ml syringe

2- 2 drops of Metacam from bottle = 0.1ml, so count out drops onto a spoon and syringe up

Simples :D

I don't know if that varies with the size bottle because I've not used the bigger bottles, but with Badger, when I was trying to get out 0.5mls for him, it definitely came to more than 10 drops. This worries me somewhat. :?

There must be different tops on the bottles. Mine has a nozzle which fits into the syringe that comes with it. I turn the bottle upside down and draw direct from the bottle the amount I need. Sam (Bluesmum) showed me how to do it and it is so much easier than the way I was doing it before.

There must be different tops on the bottles. Mine has a nozzle which fits into the syringe that comes with it. I turn the bottle upside down and draw direct from the bottle the amount I need. Sam (Bluesmum) showed me how to do it and it is so much easier than the way I was doing it before.

Think there must be :lol:. I had no bother with the 32ml bottles of Meloxidyl. I filled it as you described, but the 100ml bottle of Metacam has a long spout, with a syringe that can't possibly fit it :roll:.

Thanks everyone for the tips on how to use it. I will give them a shot and see which works best for us. It will save me a load to get a 180ml bottle from Vetuk at £19, which is half the price my vet charged me for a 100ml bottle.

Back