• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know...

shelley

Mama Doe
When a bunnies nails need cliping? I dont intend to do it my self so was planning on booking a vets appointment but i dont know if they are long enough or not. They are really sharp though and probably about 7mm in length (maybe :oops:)

Thanks

Most people trim them to the length of fur on paw and dew claw should be short and not curling hope that helps x

I think it largely depends on the colour of the claw and the breed of rabbit, you need to see the paw sitting naturally on the surface, as soon as a nail starts to curl under slightly, sort of arch they probably need trimming, white claws are obviously easier as you can see the quick which you avoid as it bleeds and is very painful.

That's why I get the vet/nurses to do my buns and dog :lol:

She's nethie cross and her claws are black. When i put my finger under her claw i can feel a slight curve and her paws arent totally flat to the floor so i think its time for a trim. She is very good with being played about with but i dont have the confidence to clip them. How much roughly will it cost for the vet to do it?

My vet charges £7 per bun, but she was nice and showed me how to do it at the same time so I've done it myself since. Mine have white claws though so its easier.

She's nethie cross and her claws are black. When i put my finger under her claw i can feel a slight curve and her paws arent totally flat to the floor so i think its time for a trim. She is very good with being played about with but i dont have the confidence to clip them. How much roughly will it cost for the vet to do it?

My vets are very good, if I take them in for vaccines they automatically do a check up and to my knowledge when I've asked them to do nails not charged me, I do have good bunnies that are very well behaved for mummeh though.

My dogs cost about £15.00 I'd imagine it would be anywhere from £5 - depending on where you live, maybe ask a rescue locally to you if they would do them, it would most likely be cheaper or do a thread asking for recommendations in your area, I wouldn't do black myself, I have a rex with black nails and I would be scared of hurting him, I'd take the ends off but I don't have a decent set of clippers, I might get them all done, watch closely and ask the vet to order me a set of clippers:)

I put my hand under their paws and lift my hands up, when they tense their claws I can feel if they're too long or not, most of the time you can just see though.

It only takes a second for me to clip they're claws and they're all very good with it so I do it quite a lot

Back