• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your indoor buns' homes smell? Would you keep them in your bedroom?

zayna1

Warren Scout
My two rabbits currently live outside. Right now there isn't any space for them to live inside with us-my parents don't want them downstairs, and I sleep in a box:lol:. But hopefully next march or sometime close to that, i'll be getting a bigger bedroom (we're getting an extension so I get a bigger room :D) Because of the extension, their brick shed is going to be knocked down :cry: So They'll either be getting a new shed built, or I can try and persuade my parents to let them live in my room. I have to be sure it's what I want though. See, when it was snowing, I managed to squish a playpen in my room for them, but they kept me awake ALL NIGHT LONG for 2 weeks!! I have to be 100% sure on what I do. If we invest in a shed, they won't be allowed to be indoor buns. But if we don't they'll be indoor buns no matter what, and i'm worried that they're going to stink (they did when they were in my room-but it was the smell of straw and litter that I can't stand!!) I want them to be free range in my room (which will be new and cleared out so I can bunny proof it properly before moving in!! :D ) Really undecided right now. What do you think I should do?

My buns have been indoors before and they didn't smell so yes I have/would have them in my room :wave:

I have seven in my room and they don't smell. It's just a case of them being neutered and spayed (which yours are) and kept clean. It's not difficult :)

They are loud though and that is a far bigger problem, I find, than anything else.

They don't smell, I clean their tray out daily.

I had them in my room for over two years but I wouldn't do it again unless I had to because for that whole time, they didn't let me have even one unbroken night's sleep, I felt like a zombie.

my guys are indoor buns but are in the kitchen purely because of the racket bella made at night :roll: they dont really smell as long as you keep on top of cleaning out their litter tray :)

I have two of my bunnies indoors and they don't smell, I use megazorb and keep on top of cleaning litter trays and they are fine:)

I didn't think my 2 were noisy until we all shared the bedroom one night as the hall had been painted - it was the noisiest night ever and couldn't wait for them to have free range of the flat again:lol::lol: As with the smell they don't seem to mind:lol::lol:

Mine didnt smell but I wouldnt want them in my bedroom because I dont like animals in the bedroom and I wouldnt want them watching me

I have seven in my room and they don't smell. It's just a case of them being neutered and spayed (which yours are) and kept clean. It's not difficult :)

They are loud though and that is a far bigger problem, I find, than anything else.

:shock: 7.....how do you survive?? i would be so tired (i get very cranky :oops: )

x

:shock: 7.....how do you survive?? i would be so tired (i get very cranky :oops: )

x

We have very strict rules. When I go 'X shut up', they make a louder noise, and then if I beg 'please X, I really need some sleep' they make a louder noise. So I just have to keep quiet and hope for the best. :lol:

I agree about the noise bit. They were rattling the cage all night, and the water bottle was so loud!! Do you think that it would be possible for them to be 100% free range in the bedroom? Would that make them less noisy? With giving them a bowl for water?

Mine live in my bedroom (along with 2 hamsters and a cockatiel).
They only smell if I don't clean their litter trays as regular as usual... When I was ill they smelt a bit (I was pretty much bedbound so only topping up tonnes of fresh hay!) but the rest of the time they don't smell

We have very strict rules. When I go 'X shut up', they make a louder noise, and then if I beg 'please X, I really need some sleep' they make a louder noise. So I just have to keep quiet and hope for the best. :lol:

:lol: that did make me chuckle!!!

i would be a zombie, i had bella and jasper in my room one night and you would have thought they had been in there years i was soooooooooo moody :oops: :lol:

Oh also I feed mine on a night :) Being fed makes them sleepy and they're more relaxed all night long so quieter :lol:

:lol: that did make me chuckle!!!

i would be a zombie, i had bella and jasper in my room one night and you would have thought they had been in there years i was soooooooooo moody :oops: :lol:

I found I got used to it. I love the noises of them pottering about. I love the noises of them nomming. Chewing their cage doesn't bother me anymore because it's all fine and safe to chew. I liked hearing when they played with their bells. When they used to be able to access my bed, it's awesome to wake up cuddling a bunny, or having a bunny snuggled round your head, or jumping on your face to get to you.

I can't STAND them ripping paper (normally newspaper) and I seem to always wake up when they are doing something they shouldn't

I found I got used to it. I love the noises of them pottering about. I love the noises of them nomming. Chewing their cage doesn't bother me anymore because it's all fine and safe to chew. I liked hearing when they played with their bells. When they used to be able to access my bed, it's awesome to wake up cuddling a bunny, or having a bunny snuggled round your head, or jumping on your face to get to you.

I can't STAND them ripping paper (normally newspaper) and I seem to always wake up when they are doing something they shouldn't

see im like thats with my dog. he potters about, scratches (my OH cant stand his dog tag jingling) but i kinda like it. i also used to have 22 rats in my bedroom when i was at home with my mum and i could sleep through it all.

2 buns?? no chance, it drove me crazy!!! :oops: (i feel bad now that i relegated them to the kitchen.... meh, not that bad!!! :lol: )

x

If you cant stand the smell of straw/hay/litter then perhaps indoors isn't the best & I quite agree they can be very noisy at nights so maybe the shed option is the right option for you.:)

Mischa and Mini live in my bedroom. They don't smell despite the fact they wee a lot (they drink a lot, there's no health problem, just their way) and I don't find they are very noisy but then I sleep like a log. They get a bit active about 7am but at night they generally sleep under my bed. :love: I don't have any bars or cages or anything they can make a lot of noise with though.

The biggest problem I had was with them weeing on the bed but they don't do that anymore. Well, it's very rare put it that way!

I have 8 house rabbits (3 are in my bedroom) and they don't smell, I clean their litter trays twice a day and I get comments that all people can smell when they visit is fresh hay :D

Back