• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

George doesn't seem quite 'right'

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I gave the buns some parsley earlier as a treat and George didn't seem interested, although ate a little. I went out and when I came back with a friend I gave George and Gemma some dandelion leaves and George didn't eat any at all.

He was sitting in his litter tray in his crate so I picked him up to check his bottom - see if he had an upset tummy. All looked OK but he really struggled and looked very grumpy. Even my friend - who is not a bunny person - commented on how fed-up George looked.

I popped him back in his tray and he then picked up the edge of it and threw it away and settled back in the hay. I watched him for a while and he did nom some hay, but he doesn't seem 'right'.

I don't know if he is just fed-up because a friend and I were in the kitchen for some time and we disturbed his snooze, or if he is feeling poorly. His ears were warm when I picked him up - not hot, but warm - but the kitchen is quite warm anyway.

Fortunately, I am not on-call tonight and am not working tomorrow so I will be able to keep an eye on him. He looks totally grumpy and disapproving, which is very unlike George. He may be sulking as he went out in the garden yesterday but I was out today and none of the neighbours were around either so I wouldn't risk putting him out (run doesn't have a cover).

Bailey and Binky have been like that the last few days - I'd put it down to having VHD jab on Friday.

Best to do is make sure he's eating and pooping and just keep an eye on him.

My mum always used to say the weather affects cats - if the cat had a mad half hour it was going rain. I wonder if rabbits can sense it as well?!

I just popped into the kitchen and George was out of the litter tray with his head in the dandelion leaves. He deigned to allow me a nose rub so I think maybe he is slowly forgiving me for whatever it is I have done!!!

A friend bought me a new microwave today as a very late birthday pressie (eight months' late:)) and I have cut a hole in the side of the empty box and put their tunnel into it. Gemma has already chewed another hole in the box so she can run through it. She loves it:love: George is just looking at her as if to say 'I can't be bothered with such kittenish behaviour'

I am hoping he is OK - just sulking for some reason. I didn't have any spring greens this morning as I had run out - so that could be the cause of George's annoyance with me!!! I bought the buns some parsley by way of an apology (as well as some spring greens) but it looks like George could be holding a grudge!!

They all have such different personalities - so cute!

Sounds like a few grumbles all stored up and you getting the brunt of them! Hope he is feeling better and that you are back in his good books. x

Gemma is so naughty, is she your super chewer. :lol:

Hope George is fine. Cutie-pie sometimes goes quite. Sunshine can be a grump at times, or a little snobby. They do have their funny ways.

Yes, Gemma is definitely a super-chewer - I have a feeling that is why she ended up at the adoption part of PAH.

George has eaten some pellets so I am not going to panic just yet, but he definitely isn't himself. He is currently flopped out on the kitchen rug with Gemma. The droppings in the litter tray all look OK, although I can't tell which are his and which are Gemma's.

I'll see how he is in the morning. He has eaten enough for me to feel OK to leave him overnight, although I will probably get up part way through to go to the loo and will check him then.

These little furry ones like to worry us, don't they?

They really do. I wonder if it is to do with the weather or moulting. Cutie-pie is having a terrible moult. Plus it feels so humid, despite the rain and grey weather.

I guess bunnies are like us, or any other animal, they all have off days.

Hope George is back to his old self tomorrow. xxx

Last edited:
Well, I am relieved to say that George seems fine this morning. He has joined Gemma in the box I gave them yesterday and they are both digging and systematically destroying it. They are both having so much fun - and the kitchen floor is covered in cardboard:)

He did hop up to me last night before I went to bed and seemed happy to be stroked and have nose rubs so I think he was over his grump then. Odd bun. My intial reaction last night was to panic and rush him to the vet but once I could see he was eating, albeit only a little, I was slightly happier.

Thank you all for your vibes. George says he appreciates them and if Mummy would only supply the correct noms at the correct time all would be well:oops:

I'm going to start going to Aldi and picking up boxes regularly. George and Gemma are having a wonderful time. They are totally engrossed in destroying the box completely from every angle they can and are working as a team. Fascinating to watch.

I keep tripping over the box as it's in the middle of a not very big kitchen and there are pieces of cardboard everywhere but it is definitely worth it to see them both so happy. They have even stopped nomming dandelion leaves to go and play - they usually eat and eat until they are gone.

Back