• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you split a bond if one was too dominant?

Rykat

Mama Doe
Opinions please .....

Scenario:
Male/female pair of buns, bonded for approx 5 months. In the early days the male was frequently mounting her, no aggression. Over past 2 months the female is forcibly mounting male (neck holding) & will actually take food from his mouth so now fed separately. The male has weak back end but manages to jump onto level, hop around etc. .... there has never been any fights just forcible mounting from her.

Question:
Would you separate them due to the declining health of the older male bun? How would someone know if they are happy, ok to be together even if it appears that the female bullies the male at times?

I would consider it, yes, but I wouldn't do it lightly. As a first port of call, I would bring them into a small neutral territory and 'rebond'. Sometimes, the time being treated as a new bond in a smaller space can be enough to settle them back down again...worth a try as a first port of call before considering anything more drastic, perhaps.

I would separate if I thought the older bunny looked bullied, but if its ok 90% of the time them I would just keep an eye on them for a while longer :wave:

I had to separate mine recently. My girl was behaving horribly towards her man. Turns out she knew something we didn't. Mr. Bunny is terribly ill now with e. cuniculi and stasis. I hope your elderbun isn't sick. My bunnies now live side by side in two exercise pens with a divider in between. They honestly don't seem less happy, and they still have each other's company.

Are they both neutered?

I would start again and rebond in a small space and work from there. I woudl only separate at last resort.

if both are neutered and the male actually seems unhappy with the treatment he's getting and it is affecting his health/behaviour..then yes..but only to find them both new partners they will be happier with ..so do you have room for two pairs??:?

Back