• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what can i use for buns waxy ears?

bunlover

Warren Veteran
hi guys, my rabbit savvy vet is in gloucester so quite a drive and my "normal" vets are ok for routine etc but hate to go "off license" i have to sign a form for metacam even:roll::roll::roll: dora had ec was treated recovered, still has occasional fit though not had one for a few weeks and she does struggle to clean her ears, after the fly strike on her 1st check up i asked "normal" vet to check her ears as think she has build up of wax and was worried about infections (she is on a 7day course of baytril and a high dosage of metacam anyway for the flystrike she had) he looked down both her ears for ages and said no sign of infection but she has flakey skin and wax which is making them dirty and just to clean with cotten buds to help her when it builds up. no problem except i think the wax is getting pushed deeper into ear when i do this and cant seem to get any more out, are there any human or buy online drops i could get to help disperse/melt the wax for her? she isnt scratching lots but is lopping the left ear sometimes and it looks like the inner hole(canal i think?) is full of wax. she has been treated for mites and other skin parasites so it isnt that i think its simpply where she cant balence to clean them but its just built up a lot! thanks for anyone who has read all this!!!

I was told warm olive oil is good as it softens wax & if they have mites,they cant grip on.I used to clean Wills ears weekly & she had no problems but I cleaned B's this way when she had suspected mites & all it did was make her scratch her ears red raw:?

Thanx for reply hmm dont want to make her itchy as she not scratchy at mo. Will ring up vets tommo and see what they say I have human atuff for disolving ear wax but dont want to use unless its safe x

(I guess you can make an appointment here when you're next down- though I know that's not for a while with work).
bumping this up in case anyone else has any ideas.

sue:wave:

thanks mum there is a good vet moving here apparently on the 12th but wanted to sort something out before then will ask at my vets if they ahve anything i can use. x

When my old foster had waxy ears the vet prescribed liquid parraffin to put in her ears. She looked a bit of a mess for a while (she was lop eared and it dripped out a bit),but it didn't seem to bother her.

Back