• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dexter - Claw ripped off and skin rotting away :(

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Before anyone jumps on me... I have rang the vet!

Went out to the shed yesterday to do a full clean out. I've not been very well for a few days and bed-ridden so my O/H has been looking after them instead. He's totally colour blind so hadn't noticed spots of blood on the buns blankets. Due to Milly being bonded to them for just 2/3 weeks, I thought one of them had been nipped. Full check over confirmed Dexie had a teeny nip on his back... All now healed up and looks fine.

Then it was time to do their claws. I check them every week for length etc and Dexie was only checked just a week ago. Was clipping his back claws and almost missed one... Only realised because I counted them (which I don't normally do) His toes have always been small so sometimes I miss one.

Anyway, had a look and one claw had been completely ripped off, flesh has started to die off and you can see 1-2mm of bone (which would have been the quick) Started crying because I hadn't been able to see them as I'd been ill. But then, it's not the O/H's fault either, he didn't know.

I feel really upset and have no idea how he did it. They only have their litter tray in there and lots of cardboard boxes... no metal or anything it could have been caught on :/

Off to the vets in the morning and it looks like it'll be a GA and amputation. Dexie seems fine and happy. The wound isn't bleeding and looks very clean, he's not limping etc and he's eating and drinking normally (O/H and I always stay out for 15-20mins to watch whose eating and who may not be)

So yerp... vibes for Dexie please :(

amputation?? :( is there nothing they could do for him?? you poor thing, im really sorry this has happened to you. sending vibes to both of you xx

amputation?? :( is there nothing they could do for him?? you poor thing, im really sorry this has happened to you. sending vibes to both of you xx

It'll just be the toe that is amputated :( Don't thinkt there's anything else they can do. The bone is showing and there is clear signs of the skin surrounding the wound being damaged and rotting. It's horrid :(
I'm just glad he's eating and I do weekly toe check ups... Although now, I might be doing them more often... :(

I had a bun with a tail injury and the skin started going black and rotting (despite antibiotics), the vet removed some skin, cleaned and bandaged it and put her on a long course of antibiotics and the skin grew back over the bone and now she's completely fine :)

Hope you can get it sorted soon :( Poor bun

First, don't panic :) I've no idea how bunnies manage it but losing a nail ripping is quite common. I'd be surprised if what you're seeing is actually bone and if it's clean looking then it's not rotting away. It's hard to say without seeing but it sounds like he's just lost the nail and your seeing the nail bed. The quick isn't bone. If that's the case, then most likely it will heal and regrow without problem.

First, don't panic :) I've no idea how bunnies manage it but losing a nail ripping is quite common. I'd be surprised if what you're seeing is actually bone and if it's clean looking then it's not rotting away. It's hard to say without seeing but it sounds like he's just lost the nail and your seeing the nail bed. The quick isn't bone. If that's the case, then most likely it will heal and regrow without problem.

It does look like bone though and is quite far back :/ Mind you, the skin surrounding it doesn't look black... Just sort of, I don't know how to describe it!
I think it's too far back just to be nail bed, it's a bit further back that the quick would be and you can only see it if you pull the fur on his toe back a little bit.

Oh, I have no idea :/ I'm just freaking out. I feel like an awful bun mummy. I've never had a bun rip it's claw off before so it's quite worrying. And the fact I wasnt well enough to go and check on them makes me feel awful!

I have lifted all the lino though and scrubbed it all and am changing the litter tray twice daily to avoid any more dirt etc getting in until tomorrow.

Blah :/

They do 'attach' surprisingly far back it's just the fur usually covers it.

Obviously I haven't looked but it wouldn't surprise me if the vet didn't do much with it if it's not looking infected. I think amputation is unlikely if he's walking on it fine.

It's possible it's quite recent, bunnies heal amazingly fast so he may have only done it in the last 24hours if it's not already healing.

Scabs on rabbits always look weird as their skin is so thin. They get a sort of dented scab that looks a bit like dry blood and then puckered edges that are quite hard.

Zoidberg done very similar to his back inside toe on his left leg (i think).

It got amputated, which was distressing at the time for both bun and us, but he's absolutely fine now, and you wouldn't be able to tell that he's only got 3 toes.

He'd broken his toe and you could tell as it was loose (ie. you could move it around) whereas the others were very rigid.

Sending lots of vibes for you and Dexter! (cool name by the way!)

Obviously i dunno how bad the toe is, but if it doesn't need amputated then i would recommend manuka honey to help the skin heal round the toe. My Inca had quite a few problems with cuts to her toes and feet, some really quite bad. I cleaned them up with dilute iodine and put a thick layer of manuka honey on. Then i put a baby sock on her to stop her from licking off the honey. Her toes and feet healed up great. :)

Back