• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In an emergency? Moving animals

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I guess this is for people with more than one pair of rabbits/more than one 'set' of animals.

If you had some sort of situation where you needed to evacuate your house (for whatever reason), could you move/take all your animals wherever you needed to go? do you have the facilities to do that? (like car space, carriers, for example).

Yep I have two carriers, one big enough for the pair of rabbits and one big enough for the pair of chins.

I used to keep them in a high cupboard but I have them more accessible now since I got paranoid about fires.

Car space would be an issue as i don't have one :lol: But I have people who could help out in a an emergency.

I would struggle to move the budgies (because there are 19 of them). If it were a fire or something to do with the house then hopefully they would be ok because they are in an aviary at the top of the garden. I have a little hospital cage and at a push they could all fit in there I suppose.
The bunnies would be no trouble.
We don't have enough carriers for the cats but Charlie and Jo would probably be fine just being held in a car, though it's not ideal I know.
We have two cars (mine and my mums) so that shouldn't be a problem. We could even keep the predator and prey pets separate.

I have 4 rabbit carriers (it's easier to catch them singly than try to get two to a carrier) a carrier for the 2 piggies, the dog walks :lol:, the budgie cage can be carried.

The only problem is catching the bunnies to get them in the carriers, and then I have nowhere to take them, and I will soon fill my Micra up.....

I already have a fire plan. :)
I worry about this sort of thing, especially living in a terraced house. Two chinchilla carriers, two in each. Bunnies in their and Genghis in a pillow case or cardboard box if I have one. In an emergency and if couldn't get the chinnies carry cases they could go in pillow cases too. I would just pick up hammy's whole cage. Then I would panic. :lol:

Since my buns and guineas are outside I'm not sure to count them in an emergency if I had to evacuate my house, I have various boxes/carriers that I could put my rats in but they both come when called and don't go far from me' so if I was so short of time I'd just call them and take them out with me, I keep a tub near my frogs and a net so I could get the four frogs and put their tub out the window on the sticky out bit then get the rats and climb out myself and from the height of my window I could jump. If it was for example a fire, the buns and guins shed is a safe distance away from my house but for any other reason after the rats and frogs are safe there is various ways I can get to my garden and their shed, so I could get the buns in their carrier and the guins in theirs. We have car space and places they could go.

I think I'd just pop my tortoises into my dressing gown pockets :lol: Luckily they're still quite small!

Helen xx

I've got a carrier for Louie, Molly would just go loose in the car, Evie would go in her cage, dunno about the fish though :?

If I was in the position where I could reach them all, I think I could just about manage.

Snowball would be put into the cage with the lemmings and I'd have to hope none of them got hurt. The lid would be on and the cage would go under one arm, lucas under the other.

Have tried it, but I can't move very fast like that, so if it was urgent I needed to get out, I'm afraid the lemmings would be left behind :oops: and i'd just take snowball and lucas :oops:

I use indoor cages as carriers when transporting if moving house rather than carriers as i can leave food and water down for the journey.

I can afford to go out and buy new cages if i need to as i probably would need more if i were to have them all in indoor cages.

Although i do have enough cages, including standard carriers to have all buns safely ready for transportation if needed. That would be including the 3 dog crates i have also.

If my buns are doing anything over 30 mins, i prefer an actual cage to a carrier. I'd have to hire transport for the day as there is no way all the animals could fit in the car we have or any car for that matter. A van or lorry would be required.

We have moved about 5 times since having animals and it's always been a straightforward process. The hardest part is boxing up furniture etc. Animals transport quite easily.

It's really interesting to hear these answers. I too was going to use pillow cases for something where my indoor bunnies needed out instantly.

If, say, :lol:, a tsunami was coming (because we often get them from the North Sea on the East Anglian coast :lol: some more), or if we had like a Sizewell B blow up and needed to evacuate due to nuclear ****, and we had prior warning, I was counting my carry cases today and have enough to take all bunnies in their respective groups, and I bought my new car with it in mind that I wanted to be able to fit all my bunnies in if I had to.

dont have to many to worry about, catching Stella would be the hardest. so i doubt it would be done in an emergency during the daytime, took about 15 mins to get her to go into her carrier when we moved and theres always the chance she will never trust it again.. if its at night they both sleep in the same box so they would be easy to catch then. the chippies have a carrier each to make it easier. we have one carrier for the buns to share.

Since my buns and guineas are outside I'm not sure to count them in an emergency if I had to evacuate my house, I have various boxes/carriers that I could put my rats in but they both come when called and don't go far from me' so if I was so short of time I'd just call them and take them out with me, I keep a tub near my frogs and a net so I could get the four frogs and put their tub out the window on the sticky out bit then get the rats and climb out myself and from the height of my window I could jump. If it was for example a fire, the buns and guins shed is a safe distance away from my house but for any other reason after the rats and frogs are safe there is various ways I can get to my garden and their shed, so I could get the buns in their carrier and the guins in theirs. We have car space and places they could go.

Yes i thought this- i have enough to get all the indoor animals out, but the outdoor animals have hutches so they are not something i could transport, so it would mean using the spare dog crates and carriers as the indoor buns all have there own cages i could carry out.

We had a small scare, one of the extensions set on fire, but it shorted out. I now go round turning off all the switches at night because it does scare me. Thankfully now we have cassie i'm pretty confident she would alert us to fire if the smoke alarms didn't whilst sleeping.

Having animals in the house does scare me. I prefer having them outside for there own safety.

The cats are the biggest worry as i dont' always know where they are and in an emergency there isn't time to go roaming around the house.

Yes i thought this- i have enough to get all the indoor animals out, but the outdoor animals have hutches so they are not something i could transport, so it would mean using the spare dog crates and carriers as the indoor buns all have there own cages i could carry out.

We had a small scare, one of the extensions set on fire, but it shorted out. I now go round turning off all the switches at night because it does scare me. Thankfully now we have cassie i'm pretty confident she would alert us to fire if the smoke alarms didn't whilst sleeping.

Having animals in the house does scare me. I prefer having them outside for there own safety.

The cats are the biggest worry as i dont' always know where they are and in an emergency there isn't time to go roaming around the house.

I guess it's different risks isn't it, for inside and outside rabbits. It makes owning them very complicated. :lol:

Just to add if it was an emergency and I needed to be out the house now I'd have to just grab the rats, I maight not have time to go fishing for my frogs so I would accept the possible fact I might have to leave them.

My favourite answer :D :thumb:

Its the only eventuality I've come to. My biggest fear is a fire in the house during the night. The bunnies are all at the back of the garden so are pretty safe. I would just have to get up, put my dressing down on, a sleepy tortoise or two in each pocket then either make my escape or wait for the firemen :love:

Helen x

I have practiced getting all animals into carriers quick, also have a bag with meds (mine and pets), to grab quickly too

Back