• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccination was on Friday - looking off it...

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Both my 4 month old rabbits were vaccinated for this on Friday. Friday night they were fine, in fact they were going mental! Which they never really do - so was nice to see them having fun.

By sat, they were a bit out of it, picking at a bit of food, not really interested in anything, lots of flopping and leaving their cecotrophes.

I took them in to the vet and she said they seem fine, sometimes it can knock them the day after and gave them some gut motility incase.

It's Monday now. They're picking at food, but there are pellets in their bowl which have been there hours - they never leave pellets.

I've hand fed them a few, they've picked at the hay and I've put the water bottle to them at which they drank for ages, but didn't seem the have the enthusiasm to walk all the way to the bottle to get it themselves. They've just sat behind the tv for a few days, just, well, sitting.

Should I be worried. Poo's seem alright - not as perfect as usual, but not bad. Found a couple more cecotrophes just in the last hour (just cleaned the cage so I know they're new).

Not too worried about stasis at this point as food is going in and out, albeit a small amount.

Anyone experience this sort of reaction to VHD vaccine days later? Will they snap out of it?

Some buns can been quite off for a few days, though 4 days is stretching it. Scamp was quite miserable (not wanting to exercise or come out) for about 6 days but he had a skin reaction too, so I put some it down to being uncomfortable from that.

I would keep a close eye, as your doing but hopefully if food is going in/out then they will perk up in the next day or two.

Thanks Tamsin, I feel a bit better now. I suppose also, I'm not usually at home at this time of day, so they might just want to sleep if that's what they normally do. But it's the uneaten pellets which is really odd.

Maybe pop them next to their napping spot? Scamp basically spent the week in his tunnel (his favourite sleeping/hiding spot) and would eat things put under his nose but showed none of his usual interest in begging for food, coming to see what you had or what was going on around him.

Spenser was a bit off last year , but just for a couple of days. He had a mild local reaction, but I didn't notice uneaten caecs. He's having his booster tomorrow night so I'm hoping he will be OK this time.

I hope he's ok Susie. These two are back to normal - well actually, they've gone the other way - seriously.

I've never known them so wappy!

Back