• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can someone help please

zoe1975

New Kit
hi everyone
my doe had a little of 4. 3 weeks ago on saturday morning one of the babies was lying on the bottom of the hutch on his side so i brought him in and wrapped him up because he felt cold once he was warmed up i put him back in the hutch next thing i know is he he rolling around and not walking/ hopping like the others were i was scared of him hurting himself and mommy was nudging him and stomping by him so i removed him again incase she hurt him. i went and brought some lactol and a small lactol bottle and he was taking it fine yesterday but he is not interested today he also will not drink water. i have had to remove poo from his bum. he is moving better today but concerned hes not getting enough fliuds. can anyone give me some advice.
zoe

At 4 weeks he is almost ready to be weaned so it's best not to introduce substitute milk as that's very different from rabbit milk. It sounds like he needs to see a vet asap from his behaviour, I expect they'll probably give him fluids, possibly gut mobility drugs or painkillers and can assess why he's not moving correctly. It possible the rolling about is because he's in pain and trying to ease the discomfort.

Keeping him warm was a good idea, continue with that and if you can try syringing some water if he won't drink on his own.

Any time a bun stops eating, particularly as young as this it really needs treating as an emergency. I know it's a bank holiday (rabbits always choose the worst days) but if you call your usual vets number there should be an answer phone message if they aren't there telling you what to do/who to call.

Back