• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! Stasis followed by diarrhea

Bonita

New Kit
My poor bunny has e. cuniculi. He had it over a year ago and made a complete recovery. He just had it again and was put on oxybenzadole, baytril, meloxican and meclazine. He had developed severe anemia, stasis and other issues, so the vet took him off the meloxican and oxybendazole thinking the "cure" might be worse than the disease (which had improved).

He didn't poop for a whole day, but with careful nursing and feeding him Critical Care, he started to produce poops, getting somewhat larger the day went by. We also gave him sub-cu fluids to get things moving. He has been eating veggies like a trucker but has refused hay for over a week.

Things were looking very encouraging until last night - massive poopy butt now. He is also wetting himself. He is a house rabbit and 100% litterbox trained.

I have dealt with both stasis and diarrhea, but never combined. What is going on? Of course it's a holiday weekend...neither practice I go to has an exotics vet working today. I'm hoping someone has some good advice. He is still in relatively good spirits, but it's heartbreaking.

Is it true diarrhoea and watery or is it sticky? If it's true diarrhoea then he needs a vet asap. If it's sticky bum then I expect it's cos of the antibiotics. If you have any Fibreplex that should help and encourage him to eat plenty of hay.

Try and keep him clean (I know its easier said than done!) cos of flystrike. He also might be struggling to reach to eat his decals and clean himself.

It's very sticky and mushy. We are cleaning it and he's being very good about it. I am concerned about fly strike, though he is indoors and has his own room, flies do get in the house.

What is Fibreplex?

Unfortunately, I can't beg, steal or borrow him to eat hay. I've tried everything. He was accepting the timothy hay cubes for awhile, but now even those are refused. He does still like the Oxbow timothy treats. I tried hand feeing him hay, he takes it to please me, munches it in half and spits it out.

Fibreplex comes in a tube, it's a high fibre paste. Sticky bum usually occurs when there is an imbalance in the gut, this makes the cecals taste odd so they refuse to eat them. This can either happen cos they arent getting enough fibre or cos of antibiotics or sometimes too much sugary things like carrots. Have his teeth been checked recently, that may be a reason why he's refusing hay. :)

His teeth have been checked and are fine. I Googled FibrePlex and it appears to be a U.K. thing (I live in the U.S.). I guess the Oxbow Critical Care is similar, so I'm feeding him some more of that, mixed with unsweetened pumpkin. He's such a good boy, he eats it out of a spoon for me, but I fear I'm not getting enough into him (about 3-4 tbs/day). Force feeding him just does not work.

Or you could use bio lapis which are pre and probiotics added to water, I always give mine this whenever antibiotics are used.

Loose poo with droppings in is normal after stasis but flipping scarry!
My boy had 6 hours of awful slurry (is the only word I can use to describe it) after bloat cleared. I encouraged him to eat anything I he would and also topped him up with critical care. Fibreplex or something similar (ie fibrey probiotic) should be available to you.

I used vaseline on my boys bottom so stop it getting irritated or saw.

Good luck xxx

I asked my vet about benebac, which is a probiotic, but he didn't seem to think it helped. OTOH I have used it in the past with success. So I'm torn. It's a holiday here and I'm not even sure if the Petco is open today.

I'm having a really hard time cleaning him up. He was shaking so violently the last time that I had to stop, but he's really not clean. I feel terrible. I have given butt baths in the past before (his former bondmate died of EC), but I don't feel he's up to it right now.

You poor thing.
Think you have to do as much as he'll let you but not so much it upsets him!!!!
I'ld get whatever probiotic you can get hold of, plenty of good reasons and keep tempting him with nice things to eat xxxx

I asked my vet about benebac, which is a probiotic, but he didn't seem to think it helped. OTOH I have used it in the past with success. So I'm torn. It's a holiday here and I'm not even sure if the Petco is open today.

I'm having a really hard time cleaning him up. He was shaking so violently the last time that I had to stop, but he's really not clean. I feel terrible. I have given butt baths in the past before (his former bondmate died of EC), but I don't feel he's up to it right now.

Back