• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

update on.....very tempted**need advice**

:wave:
after much thought we decided to go back today and get the little doe at the petshop.
She seems to be quite a confident little girl even letting me give her a nose rub in her cage already so fingers crosssed.
I just hope she gets on with Thumper.Have decided to call her Thumbelina (bella for short) as shes so petite.

:wave: What are you going to do re housing Kerry? I wouldn't introduce her straight away, like all new rabbits to new homes she will need at least a few days to settle and get to know you ideally first, also as the other thread said you need to be very careful that she's not pregnant, putting her in with a buck would be quite horrible if he is mounting etc and she is expecting.

If it were me I'd be looking to house side by side in playpens while she settles in and just be careful of nose nipping they can move the playpens so a block or brick in between to be sure. I'd be getting her vet checked and then booked in for a spay asap explaining the 'history' to the vet. You need to wait a month minimum after the op to bond them on neutral ground.:wave:

yeah thats what we have done.they are side by side in different enclosures atm.How early would the vet be able to tell if she was pregnant?is nose nipping common and is it a bad sign for a future bond?

I would have quarantined her for 2 weeks before she went near any other rabbits I am afraid.

You have no idea if she may be carrying something she picked up from the pet shop/from birth and being near your rabbit, means she could spread it.

Some animals seem healthy, but the upheaval and stress of moving from shop, to home could bring out anything that may currently be laying dormant. EG Snuffles/Pasteurella

Nose nipping through the bars is very common but no indication of how well or not so well they will get on face to face, it's just a territory thing.

I think - although not 100% they will spay her anyway, which sadly will mean aborted kits if she is but are you in a position to take on potentially say 4-5 kits aswell? If so then let it run it's course, if not get her into the vet and explain the situation, she will be under anathestic and will just need more TLC time for her hormones to settle if that's the case, fingers crossed it's not.

I would have quarantined her for 2 weeks before she went near any other rabbits I am afraid.

You have no idea if she may be carrying something she picked up from the pet shop/from birth and being near your rabbit, means she could spread it.

Some animals seem healthy, but the upheaval and stress of moving from shop, to home could bring out anything that may currently be laying dormant. EG Snuffles/Pasteurella

Thats true, I risked it with my pet shop bunny as Gizmo was up to date on vaccines and there was no direct contact. Fair point though wise words.:)

ok thankyou i will book her in for an appointment with the vet so they can give her a once over and see if she is carrying any babies.

ok thankyou i will book her in for an appointment with the vet so they can give her a once over and see if she is carrying any babies.

Good luck, don't mean to panic you regarding the quarantine but a complete health check is a good idea anyway - most pet shop bunnies are 'supposed' to be health checked by a vet prior to being sold certainly with the larger stores, we can never be sure of this and as has been said things can be underlying. Good luck hope it's a positive outcome and you get the 'pair' of happy bunnies at the end of it.:wave:

Back