• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding harlequin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessbubs

New Kit
was wondering if anyone new what female i need for my male harlequin? hes blue/steel and a creamy orange, want babies the same colour as him if possible but im not sure what colour female i need? ( breeding for personal reasons, not for selling) would be very grateful for any help :love:

I think you're unlikely to find breeding advice here. I normally am able to give advice on breeding, but don't know enough about genetics, sorry.

Why is the colour important? There are not guarantees, only estimations on what the babies might be. The best bet would be a female of the same colour he is.

Bear in mind breeding is incredibly risky though and not all fun and fluffs.

was wondering if anyone new what female i need for my male harlequin? hes blue/steel and a creamy orange, want babies the same colour as him if possible but im not sure what colour female i need? ( breeding for personal reasons, not for selling) would be very grateful for any help :love:

To breed safely you would need to know at least 3 generations back of your rabbits family, and the same for a doe. Any teeth problems of genetic health issues would mean you would not breed that rabbit at all as you would cause suffering to the babies that were born so, in general, breeding is best avoided.

Hello

You may be better off asking the question on a Breeding Orientated Forum. Most folk on here are pro Rescue and have limited knowledge of Breeding as in general they do not agree with Breeding more Rabbits when there is already over 33,000 in Rescues in need of a home :)

As Sky O said this is a very rescue related forum and isnt very pro breeding.

Is there a particular reason you want to breed your rabbits? Have you thought through what will happen with the babies once they are born? What will happen if the mum has problems or isnt able to feed the babies? Have you thought through the cost implications and do you have space to seperate them from um once they are old enough?

He may be stunning, but what is it causing you to want to breed from him?

Where did you get him from?

i no about breeding have done before, just trying to get ones his colour, dont no anything about the colouring gene side of it all :(

my family own a childrens farm in worcs and i give them there rabbits, they have them off me rathere than buying them off anyone/petshops etc..like i said have bred before i just wanted to no if anyone new how to get specific colours x

my family own a childrens farm in worcs and i give them there rabbits, they have them off me rathere than buying them off anyone/petshops etc..like i said have bred before i just wanted to no if anyone new how to get specific colours x

I guess, you're not giving us the appropriate information to allow us to help, and even if you did, we may not be able to help anyway. Your description could be that of many colours; you call it a harlequin, but there are four types of harlequin.

I'm presuming that given you breed, if you're responsible about it, then you got him, or his ancestors, from a responsible breeder. I would start with that point and go back to the breeder and ask for their advice.

Last edited:

You can definitely get harlequin rabbits in rescues. I have had many and my friend has just taken two in yesterday that the owners didn't want. So please don't breed any more, search for one in a rescue. God knows they are overflowing with unwanted rabbits and we don't need any more being made.

Could they not adopt from a rescue instead? Lots of rescues will home rabbits to non-conventional homes such as colleges, farms etc if they can be sure they will be well cared for :wave:

i get all my bunnies from rescue homes just to add, im not a breeder that just gets them to sell, i do what i do for a family buisness, which i also think is a very good cause as many of the people/families that go to the farm and learn about the rabbits go on to adopt 1 from a rescue home as we advise...:)

just want them same as him or same pattern hes stunning :)

Harlequins are incredibly hard to breed, I highly doubt after one litter you'd have a baby similar to the dad, maybe not even after 10 litters, I wouldn't reccomend it

If you'd like to learn about genetics however, I have an article I could send

i get all my bunnies from rescue homes just to add, im not a breeder that just gets them to sell, i do what i do for a family buisness, which i also think is a very good cause as many of the people/families that go to the farm and learn about the rabbits go on to adopt 1 from a rescue home as we advise...:)

How do you know the genetic history of four generations of each bunny?

I think rescuing is a grand thing to do, so well done :)

Breeding responsibly is very different from rescuing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back