• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phantom pregnancy

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi. I have an un-spayed female and recently took on another un-spayed female from someone who could no longer look after her. They are in separate hutches with an unneutered male between them in his own hutch. Anyway my rabbit is having a phantom pregnancy for the first time in what has seemed like months (can female rabbits stop having phantoms during winter?) and i have noticed that our most recent addition has started acting differently but have checked her over and there is no evidence of flystrike (we use flyguard on all of our rabbits) or myxi (she had her jab soon after we got her) or anything else. She is a very clean rabbit and has been eating and going to the toilet. The only thing i have noticed is she is sort of behaving like she IS doing a phantom just not pulling fur out or building a nest. She is eating food but not as much as normal unless it is greens where she eats the lot. She has also eaten hay. I just don't know what is going on. Can she tell that the other rabbit is having a phantom and "thinks" she is too? Since we have had her she has not actually had a phantom herself.

It could be the onset of spring and the new rabbit/change in smells + the presence of the male pheromones making them start with the phantoms? I don't know much about breeding etc, so bumping for someone who does.

It could be the onset of spring and the new rabbit/change in smells + the presence of the male pheromones making them start with the phantoms? I don't know much about breeding etc, so bumping for someone who does.

Back