• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser: skinny or scruffy?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser has been having his moult for several weeks now. :roll: I love this photo of my darling boy, but am a bit concerned that he has lost weight. :? Does he look underweight, or just a bit scruffy from his moult?

P5240441.jpg

It's hard to say - he looks a little less round than normal but that could well be just from the moult. Does he feel any different to before? Is his spine more prominent for example?

What a lovely photo though. :love::love:

my smartiee is having a huggee moult! and he looks like he is soo skinny, i started a thread about his weight x

He does feel skinny, but he is much more active than in the winter. I wouldn't want him to lose any more weight. I think his spine is more prominent as I don't remember noticing it much before.

You should be able to feel his spine but it not be sticking out/visable I think.
I can feel the spines on mine when I stroke them, but they're but perfect weights :)

I've been wondering the same about my Lionhead Violet, he looks a bit slimmer around the abdomen.. I was thinking about phoning the vets and asking his weight last time he was weighed and checking it against his current weight.

Aww I love Spenser bun!:love::love::love::love::love:

Okay I would probably take him to your vet to get weighed and just put your mind at rest. At least then the vet can keep an eye on it just in case. :)

He does look a little underweight, but nothing too worrisome. I think all buns look a bit the same when moulting.

Sorry you are worrying.

Cutie-pie looks dreadful. (I am going to put up a thread of her moult.) I did put one up about head moulting, it looks awful and never seen it before. I was also worried she looked too thin, especially as she was underweight when I got her in February.

When I was at the vets on Saturday I was pleased to find out she has actually put on weight. Was about 1.90 when I got her, she is now 2.25 and looks thinner than ever.

Why not buy some scales and weigh him at home every week. I know you worry about him eating etc so it might put your mind at rest. You could always weigh him in his carry case. Weigh the carry case on its own first so you can subtract it from the weight (sorry if that was a blatantly obvious thing to say).

He is gorgeous though. :)

I can't really tell have you felt along his back. What about popping him on some bathroom scales and then weighing him again in a week and see the difference.

I would say to start monitoring his weight too to put your mind at rest.

It's quite common for them to look thinner after a moult and the extra activity recently will have played a part - it could well have been that he'd been fattening up ever so slightly over winter and you hadn't noticed.

I too would weigh him with the same pair of scales at home :wave:

Our vet got worried about Nino a few months back and his weight loss... but when he looked at the graph on the computer going back a few years you could see that it was a natural trend for that time of the year for his weight to fluctuate. Nino had a hay/grass/veg only diet which of course would vary in calories naturally in Spring/Summer when his diet would primarily be the grass on the lawn - richer in sugars and more exercise being outside that would make him leaner but more muscle which of course weighs more than fat - there are so many variables! We started weighing him at home in his last few weeks and there was no change whatsoever. Your scales will differ to your vets but as long as he maintains his weight or follows a regular pattern (don't forget different times of day he may weigh more or less so weigh the same time each day!) then he's fine. :D:wave:

awwwwwwww spenser :love:
you're worrying he is too thin, i think bella has got a case of the chubby..... you can almost hear them say 'how very dare you!!!' :lol:

i think he looks good to be honest, yes you can see he has lost a bit but he was so fluffy before you couldn't really see what he was like underneath. i would keepo an eye on it and if you are really concerned take him to the vets but as long as he is being his gorgeous self i wouldnt worry :wave:

Off topic, but Spenser has been a bad naughty rabbit this morning. :evil::roll: I believe it is a sign of a healthy, normal rabbit?

I would really need to feel his ribs to give you an accurate opinion.:lol::lol: not that I would like to come and visit him at all!!!

I am sure he is fine, younprobably haven't seen much of his curves over the winter and now he has moulted you think he looks thinner. :wave:

I would really need to feel his ribs to give you an accurate opinion.:lol::lol: not that I would like to come and visit him at all!!!

I am sure he is fine, younprobably haven't seen much of his curves over the winter and now he has moulted you think he looks thinner. :wave:

He is looking forward to your visit - we are nearly always free. He tells me he wants to go on a pellet and kale-only diet. :roll:

:lol: oh no, spenser you're in trouble!!! what did he do??

He wasn't impressed with his morning veg, so tipped up the dish then engaged in a little discus practice with it. Next time I went to the hutch he was nowhere to be seen. I found him in his bedroom with all the newspaper pulled out of his basin and poos scattered everywhere. :lol:

Back