• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do you think bella is over weight???

shell1805

Mama Doe
hey guys :wave:

bella weighs 3.4kg and the vet says she is in good shape but i worry that she is over weight. she is chubby round her chin area but her hips stick out when she is being a tea cosey (sorry dont know how else to describe it) and you can feel her spine. with her being pet shop bought i dont know her breed or history:oops: i know you guys only have photo's to go on, but what do you guys think??

009-23.jpg

008-23.jpg

003-23.jpg

015-9.jpg

She looks like a big bunny!!!!! But not in a fat way!!!! Her chin indicates her age I think (her woggle or dewalt) rather than it meaning she's chubby!!!! If she can run and periscope (think that's what you mean by teapotting) then I would say she's healthy!!!!
What sort of pellets and how many/much do you give her?

She's gorgeous and she doesnt look over weight to me, i had a very over weight bun (she's much better now but still has some to loose) and your bun doesnt look as disproportionate as my bun did

she has pets at home pellets junior/dwarf as that is all she will eat :? she has a small bowl in the morning with her veg :) and then hay all day long x

When you say small bowl???? Apparently the recommendations are a tablespoon of pellets/egg cup full for each rabbit! (I know that sounds like nothing!!!)
Have you tried her with science selective? It's very tastey and pretty good for buns. I'm currently weening my lady from that and onto bunny basics t although she really isn't that keen on the BBT!!!!! She's down to 2 small pellets of the SS and under an egg cup full of BBT. Buttons is however 2/3s of the size of your beautiful Bella!!!! Oh how old is Bella?

she has pets at home pellets junior/dwarf as that is all she will eat :? she has a small bowl in the morning with her veg :) and then hay all day long x

When you say small bowl???? Apparently the recommendations are a tablespoon of pellets/egg cup full for each rabbit! (I know that sounds like nothing!!!)
Have you tried her with science selective? It's very tastey and pretty good for buns. I'm currently weening my lady from that and onto bunny basics t although she really isn't that keen on the BBT!!!!! She's down to 2 small pellets of the SS and under an egg cup full of BBT. Buttons is however 2/3s of the size of your beautiful Bella!!!! Oh how old is Bella?

:oops: tablespoon!!!!!!! ummmmmm bella has MORE than that and no im not admitting how much :oops: :lol: oh jeez i need to overhaul her diet :?

bella is 2 yrs :)

I know!!!! It feels cruel giving that amount doesn't it!!!! It's as much to do with gut health but also bunny obesity!!!!!
If you wanted to try her with some Bunny Basics 15/23 I can post you some (the oxbow feed they recommend for younger and active buns). I ordered a bag by accident am I'm not going to use it!!!!! I couldn't post you the WHOLE back but I could stuck a tubberware box in the post and you can start mixing it in with her current feed?
PM me if you want.
The RSPCA bun I'm hoping to get in a couple of weeks doesn't have any pellets and although he's wasted across his hips he's a nice size!!!!

:oops: tablespoon!!!!!!! ummmmmm bella has MORE than that and no im not admitting how much :oops: :lol: oh jeez i need to overhaul her diet :?

bella is 2 yrs :)

Some photo's she looks skinny, others she does look overweight :lol: It's very hard to tell from a pic. When you say she'll only eat P@H junior nuggets, how exactly do you know that? I'd expect her to only pick out her favourite bits when you try change brands, but if you do feed her a lot, she could be satisfied just picking out her favourite bits. Try reducing the ammount she gets, then wean her over to a different brand, I highly doubt she'll starve herself.

Some photo's she looks skinny, others she does look overweight :lol: It's very hard to tell from a pic. When you say she'll only eat P@H junior nuggets, how exactly do you know that? I'd expect her to only pick out her favourite bits when you try change brands, but if you do feed her a lot, she could be satisfied just picking out her favourite bits. Try reducing the ammount she gets, then wean her over to a different brand, I highly doubt she'll starve herself.

do you know what i mean :shock: she's chubby in some place and not in others :roll: :lol:

i accidently got her the adult pets at home nuggets once and she didnt touch them... not one sinlge bit for days. yeah she ate plenty of hay but it worried me that she wasnt touching the pelletts so i quickly got the one she likes. bella is beyond fussy and will refuse to eat and i worry abot her gut. if i change her hay = she wont touch it. change pelletts= wont touch it and dont even get me started i fi give her different veg :?

what do you suggest i can do??

Slowly swap over her pellets but reducing down the amounts. You'll get there xxx

do you know what i mean :shock: she's chubby in some place and not in others :roll: :lol:

i accidently got her the adult pets at home nuggets once and she didnt touch them... not one sinlge bit for days. yeah she ate plenty of hay but it worried me that she wasnt touching the pelletts so i quickly got the one she likes. bella is beyond fussy and will refuse to eat and i worry abot her gut. if i change her hay = she wont touch it. change pelletts= wont touch it and dont even get me started i fi give her different veg :?

With her having such a 'belgian hare face' you expect her to have the skinny arched body too, I really can't tell :lol:

I think you're best reducing her pellets at first, then add in a bit of another brand to the mix, and very gradually change over. Maybe try get some sample packs of different brands too, see if she takes a liking to any before she's fed her usual pellets?

With her having such a 'belgian hare face' you expect her to have the skinny arched body too, I really can't tell :lol:

I think you're best reducing her pellets at first, then add in a bit of another brand to the mix, and very gradually change over. Maybe try get some sample packs of different brands too, see if she takes a liking to any before she's fed her usual pellets?

hannah.mc is sending me some of her food to try :)wave: massive thank you) so gonna mix that in and go from there :) wish me luck guys.

and i know, she has such a random body type. another reason why pet shop buns are not a good idea as you dont know what genes went into them and what they should look like :oops:

I love the photo of Bella standing up at the cage.:love:

If it's any consolation, Spenser gets far more than the eggcup/tablespooon ration of pellets daily. He would fade away. :shock: If you can get rabbits on that, that's great, but I think in practise it just doesn't work for some.

Does Bella know about this thread?

I love the photo of Bella standing up at the cage.:love:

If it's any consolation, Spenser gets far more than the eggcup/tablespooon ration of pellets daily. He would fade away. :shock: If you can get rabbits on that, that's great, but I think in practise it just doesn't work for some.

Does Bella know about this thread?

:oops: shhhhhhh no she doesn't.could you imagine the look i would get. princess podgy is sitting on her rug looking superior as usual :roll: :lol:

Princess Pudgy!!!!LOL!!!!!
I'm eating chocolate for lunch having given Buttons a scoop of bun food this am!!!!! BAD MUMMY!!!!!
Makes her more inclined to hoover in the garden though!!!!! :love:

Princess Pudgy!!!!LOL!!!!!
I'm eating chocolate for lunch having given Buttons a scoop of bun food this am!!!!! BAD MUMMY!!!!!
Makes her more inclined to hoover in the garden though!!!!! :love:

snap!!! i just had a big bit of chocolate cake :D she was sniffng the air as if to say 'hmmmm woman, what you got there??' it was gone pretty quick though :oops: :lol:

Back