• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trios

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know I've mentioned having a trio of rabbits before, but I honestly never thought I'd have one, because it took me a year and a half for my Mum to let me have Molly and Archie, but today she suggested that next year we get another one. I'd really like to, and I think I could afford to have another rabbit (also, they could probably live in the wendy house which is 8ft x 6ft) What are your opinions on trios? Do you think one would get left out? I'm not going to get another rabbit until March next year because I have exams this year and I start college in September, and I want to get used to all of that first, and also I'd like to make Molly a bit tamer before I add another rabbit. I explained about keeping the new rabbit seperate until neutered (I think we're going to a rescue but I told Mum this anyway) and although I really would love to get another rabbit, what do you think? Does it sound ok. I was worried about it unsettling Archie and Molly's bond, but I have almost a year to do research on bonding and things so I'm hoping it will go ok. Before everyone says that I haven't had Archie and Molly long, I know this, which is why I've decided to not even look into getting another rabbit until next year, so I can have more time to decide whether or not to get one :)

I have had 2 trios which have worked really well and one that didn't. I still think even numbers are better because then 1 isn't left out. Iloved my trios though :love:

If your rabbits are good tempered then it should do :)
The reason my trio didn't was because Poppy is very grumpy and territorial and hated me putting Chloe in.

If and when you decide to go for it you should go to a rescue, that way if they don't get on then the rescue will take the bunny back and you can either try a different one or just stick with your 2... you can't do that with a pet shop bun!

I personally would advise against it....I had a trio of 3 laid back buns who were fine for 3 months but then started fighting which ended up with the girls receiving vet treatment.

My original 2 were so loved up but lost the when Phoebe came along, now that she is out ofthe group they are back to being loved up :)

I have 2 trios at the moment and they both get on great, both were bonded within about a week.

As others have said you have to be prepared for it not to work but I haven't had an issue :wave:

I think you need to consider why you want to add another rabbit. If it is for some reason relating to your pair, then you can think about the kid of rabbit that would work best in with them. If it's for your sake, then you need to consider if it really is best for the rabbits. Not all bunnies are meant to be in trios, but some bunnies need to be in trios.

You need to be prepared to have three singles, and you also need to be prepapred for you to not manage to successfully bond them, or worse, having a pair and a single, but the single being from the original pair.

I have three trios that all ended up as trios for the sake of the rabbits- same as the two previous trios I had as well. I also have pairs I would never consider making into a trio. Ever.

Last edited:
I've had Thumper for around 8 months and Blossom for around 4 months. They're very much loved up but also very calm around other rabbits. We decided we wanted a group of four because we had the space, ours are friendly, I wanted to rescue another pair and also so they can socilize more within a bigger group, which will be tricky but worth it if it works out. We went to the RSPCA and our rabbits liked both pairs we visited and vise-versa so we've chosen a pair who will be joining the family in a couple of weeks!

It's true they can all break up but I think thats most common when you bring back the wrong sort of rabbit e.g. one of yours is grumpy so bringing back another rabbit who likes to try be boss may end in tears. Luckily for us, Thumper is the boss but is not aggressive in the slightest, and we're getting two more females so he should be very happy. Blossom is a madam but isn't bossy at all, just stomps her foot and skips off. The other two aren't spayed but have a lovely temperment, though we're getting the mum spayed before we get them as the daughter is too young to be done yet.

I'll have to let you know how it goes :) More people who have trio's would be ideal to comment on this thread for your sake. We chose to get two so we avoid the "being left out" thing more. Thats the plan anyway! That theory could back fire but we'll never know until we try!

Back