• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help for 2 does with behaviour issues

Hi all,

We are a small bunny rescue in Bristol. A few months ago we were asked to take in two sisters as the family no longer wanted them. (As usual) they were kept in a too small 2 tier hutch in their garage & their new dog kept scratching at it to get at them. :roll:

Obviously when we took them in we immediately upgraded their accomodation to a large hutch & run which I dont think they'd ever had access to. However over time they became territorial, would rush our hands during feeding & on one occassion a bite. It seemed that they were egging each other on so we decide to split them on the day they were neutered. Since then they have been a lot quieter & calmer but they clearly need a lot of help to overcome their issues.

We are working to help them in every way that we can but we worry for their future. As I'm sure you all know there are so bunnies in rescues needing homes, is anyone really going to want to take on passive aggressive buns? We're not sure whether to put them back together or pair them with neutered bucks but then worry we would be holding back those buns from finding their forever homes by pairing them with not so friendly does! Its all very complicated. Any one out there have any advice or know of anyone who might like to adopt and work with one or both as project buns? They are English, only a year old. Quite pretty, white with black markings.

A tricky situation and the losers as always are the poor bunnies - bought in haste and left to suffer at leisure ....

Sorry guys but also dealing with a shocking breeder rescue that has left me tired & somewhat hopeless :cry: Anyway, ideas on this situation gratefully received xxx

So sorry to hear you situation.
We had a foster nethie that was very similar, we ended up taking him in to adopt.
Our english bunny is the same, she snorts at us and sometimes lunges but bites when picked up.

Haent got any useful advice to offer, hopefully someone will be along to help soon
x

I wouldn't pair them yet as you say it may stop their partners getting offers of homes.
How long have they been neutered?
it may well just be a case of some time and a lot of input with them
Have you tried having one of them indoors and spending lots of time hand feeding and grooming?..this one to one normally helps considerably.

Thats a shame, I wouldn't have split them up personally, I'd have had them neutered and kept them together, if it didn't settle slightly after that I'd have spent more time on them. I doubt it was 'egging' each other on more than likely one trying to protect the other. Poor girls. I'm not getting at you but it seems I keep reading of 'aggressive' rabbits that have to adapt instantly or drastic measures are taken when often as you rightly said something else was most likely to blame for their behaviour aswell as being hormonal.

I'll get out of this because I'm not a rescue and don't know that what I'd do would be the best thing from a 'business' perspective of getting them homed, best of luck, hope it's a good outcome for them.

I kind of agree with Vicki P really, my first thought was that they were possibly being aggressive etc due to not having been spayed, and since then they have been split up so are kind of grieving for each other. Hopefully the neuters will have settled things down.

I have two Dutch sisters here, I dont know what their behaviour was like prior to them being neutered, but they are rather nervous/skittish/slightly feisty girls (or at least Twinkle was initially), but also soft and daft as anything....over time they have come to trust us (though not really enough for strokes, thank you very much! And we like to box your jeans if you come in our shed, hoomin! :lol:)

But we are just happy to have them in our garden with space of their own where they know they are safe and loved. They have the closest bond and I really couldnt imagine them ever not having each other. I hope they can be rebonded together. :) But also understand your concerns and difficulties - I'm not a rescue so will leave it to other rescues to advise what they might do. :)

My personal opinion is to keep them together. With all the rubbish they've had in their life they've only had each other (until they came to you) and they will miss and grieve for each other too. Plus, like you said they might hold the boys back from being adopted if you bond them with males.

I think after a few months of being spayed their hormones should die down and they should calm down too. I would spend time sitting on the floor with them and hand feeding them. Start with treats and then you could even feed them all their pellets by hand. That might take a lot of time but maybe you could get a volunteer in to spend time with them? I know I would do it. :D

You'll want to do everything on their terms and in their time. Don't try and go to them to stroke them, let them come to you. I'm sure with time they will come round. You're doing a great job. :wave:

Is this Ella and Sophie? I keep going back to look at them. I :love: buns with attitude.

Yes that's right. They are pretty girls and I do think they will come around with lots of work & patience. We are seriously thinking of putting them back together. Would you be interested in adopting them & working with them? (She asks hopefully).

I expect everyone will think I'm awful, the only reason I'm so concerned about them is that we are full, over full actually after the breeder rescue we just did. All the breeder bunnies are going to need loads of pysical & mental rehab & even then some may have to stay & will never be suitable for homing. Unlike them, I think Sophie & Ella have a bright future if we could just find someone willing to continue working on their totally understandable issues. Unfortunately, with rabbit homes in such short supply, even for those with no behavioural issues, I'm worried we're never going to find the right home for them. If only they'd been treated properly to start with they wouldn't be in this situation :roll:

I would but I am banned from any more bunnies.

Its a shame I don't have a spare hutch as I could've probably persuaded Hubby to let me foster them for you and see if a bit of extra attention would help. I have a fair few bunnies myself but I'm sure after such a big rescue you have lots of demanding bunnies.

Also just to add if they were only spayed on the 17th May things may look brighter in a few weeks, it can sometimes take ages for the hormones to settle.

One of my girls was very aggressive when I got her, lunging, biting etc, I couldn't even retrieve the foodbowl. A few months post spay and after bonding her with a couple of my laid back bunnies she now loves a fuss.

Fingers crossed for theses two that they'll soon settle.

I agree with giving them time. They may simply be frightened. My Nutmeg is an aggressive bunny and spaying didn't make a huge difference but being in a stable place did. Her old home there was a dog and she wasn't handled much and didn't have a family who knew about rabbits. After a while here she was much better. If it was me I would allow some time and then try to rebond them.

Back